SSD Last Longer Than HDD ?

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015
Hello,
I got WD Caviar Blue 1TB and I want to buy a new disk & new windows 10 but I don't know what should I do... Should I buy another 1TB WD Caviar Blue for 50 Euros or should I buy Kingston 240GB SSDNow UV400 2.5 SATA III for 92 Euros ?
Also I have a question are SSD last longer than HDD or the opposite?
My pc starts pretty fast and I don't know if I will see a difference with SSD.

Solution
SSDs *can* last longer, but have their own downsides.

HDDs don't really 'degrade' the the same sense as an SSD.
An SSD will have limited write cycles (compared to an HDD), and is not susceptible to physical damage due to lack of moving parts.

All things being equal, and no physical damage, an HDD would likely outlast an SSD, but either should give a 'normal' user years of use.

An SSD will bring improved speed (from startup, to programs launching etc), but at a higher cost per GB vs an HDD.

It's really a trade-off, storage space vs speed.

FWIW the SSDNOw is very much a 'budget' SSD. It has a shorter warranty than some higher end SSDs, and isn't quite as fast. You'll definitely notice speed improvements vs a traditional HDD.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
SSDs *can* last longer, but have their own downsides.

HDDs don't really 'degrade' the the same sense as an SSD.
An SSD will have limited write cycles (compared to an HDD), and is not susceptible to physical damage due to lack of moving parts.

All things being equal, and no physical damage, an HDD would likely outlast an SSD, but either should give a 'normal' user years of use.

An SSD will bring improved speed (from startup, to programs launching etc), but at a higher cost per GB vs an HDD.

It's really a trade-off, storage space vs speed.

FWIW the SSDNOw is very much a 'budget' SSD. It has a shorter warranty than some higher end SSDs, and isn't quite as fast. You'll definitely notice speed improvements vs a traditional HDD.

Solution
There is no straight answer. It really depends on how you use the SSD. See an SSD doesn't cope well with lot of writes like a game or download drive. If you want speed and storage then get a mix. Use the SSD for the boot drive OS and the HD for storage and games.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Kingston SSDNow UV400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£47.57 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.95 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £90.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-01 21:40 GMT+0000

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for your reply!

ChrisTsall99

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2015

Thanks for your reply , appreciate it!

A. If 256GB is enough. I would certainly by an SSD over a hard drive.
B. On average SSD have a much lower failure rate per year. In all likelihood it will last longer.
C. You will notice a difference in boot times, application launch times and overall responsiveness.

As a side note. The Samsung 850 Evo is a superior model for only a few Euros extra. It is definitely worth the small cost increase for a significant performance increase.

You need to keep backups of your data regardless of whether the original data is on SSD, SSHD or HDD.

TRENDING THREADS