Question SSD lifespan using RAM Disk

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
Hello,
The last few years i am using Ultra RAM Disk and my browser cache is located on the ram disk. I have 128 GB of ram DDR4 at 3600 MHz, desktop PC, with Samsung 980 PRO SSD. I am using the PC mainly for web browsing. My temporary cache folder is not located on the ram disk, because it makes me some problems, like video card driver AMD Radeon does not open and some programs cannot install if the temp folder is on the ram disk
The question is that the new generation SSD-s will hit the marker and their speed is even more than the speed on the ram disk. But i want to save the new SSD lifespan as much as possible. So i do not know with the new ssd if the temp folder is not on the ram disk, but it is at the default location and i am using ram disk will this save the SSD lifespan for web browsing mainly? Or if temp folder is not on the ram disk the SSD lifespan is the same as without the ramdisk?

Regards.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,
The last few years i am using Ultra RAM Disk and my browser cache is located on the ram disk. I have 128 GB of ram DDR4 at 3600 MHz, desktop PC, with Samsung 980 PRO SSD. I am using the PC mainly for web browsing. My temporary cache folder is not located on the ram disk, because it makes me some problems, like video card driver AMD Radeon does not open and some programs cannot install if the temp folder is on the ram disk
The question is that the new generation SSD-s will hit the marker and their speed is even more than the speed on the ram disk. But i want to save the new SSD lifespan as much as possible. So i do not know with the new ssd if the temp folder is not on the ram disk, but it is at the default location and i am using ram disk will this save the SSD lifespan for web browsing mainly? Or if temp folder is not on the ram disk the SSD lifespan is the same as without the ramdisk?

Regards.
Since you have a Samsung SSD, you can see the TB written. The 1TB drive has a 600TB written spec. There is NO WAY you have to worry about exhausting the write endurance.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But i want to save the new SSD lifespan as much as possible. So i do not know with the new ssd if the temp folder is not on the ram disk, but it is at the default location and i am using ram disk will this save the SSD lifespan for web browsing mainly? Or if temp folder is not on the ram disk the SSD lifespan is the same as without the ramdisk?

For the high-end 980 Pro you have, you're way too paranoid in the lifespan of your drive. Depending on the size of a drive you have, 980 Pro has endurance rating of 150-1200 TBW.
Further reading about TBW: https://www.howtogeek.com/806926/what-does-tbw-mean-for-ssds/

So, download CrystalDiskInfo, run it and look the "Total Host Writes" you have on your SSD. My guess is that it isn't much and it would take decades before you can reach the TBW rating on your SSD.

Hello,

Regards.
I don't think you need to worry about wearing out a ssd.

Just to keep it simple consider taking the ram disk out of the mix.

Amigo1982

Distinguished
May 3, 2015
I am worried actually for the new SSD, which i will buy soon after gen. 5 nvme ssd is on the market. But my question is principle and this can help other users.
if the temp folder is not located on the RAM drive (in my case Ultra ram disk is the ram drive). All day web browsing. Browser cache is on the ram drive.
So better for the SSD lifespan and health to use ram drive or does not matter?
Because saw on internet that the TEMP folder actually need to be on the ram drive to save the SSD lifespan.

kanewolf

Titan
I am worried actually for the new SSD, which i will buy soon after gen. 5 nvme ssd is on the market. But my question is principle and this can help other users.
if the temp folder is not located on the RAM drive (in my case Ultra ram disk is the ram drive). All day web browsing. Browser cache is on the ram drive.
Because saw on internet that the TEMP folder actually need to be on the ram drive to save the SSD lifespan.
Did you check the TB written on your current drive? That is a new model drive which might have 6 months runtime. If you have written 10TB you would used about 1.6% of the total writes. So it would take about 50 years to use the write endurance.
In 5 years use, I have written 66TB on my EVO drive with a 200TBW endurance. So I could keep my PC for 5 more years and have used just over 50% of the TBW.

Check your actual usage, and you can see how many DECADES it will take. SSD write endurance is not a problem for current generation devices unless you buy a cheap drive or use your PC for game recording 24/7.

USAFRet

Titan
Having the temp folder and browser cache on the SSD is so inconsequential to the lifespan as to really not exist.

"Because saw on internet that the TEMP folder actually need to be on the ram drive to save the SSD lifespan."
Whoever told you that needs to be ignored completely.

On my 1TB 980 Pro C drive:
10.3TB in 11 months of use.
So, about 11TB a year.
No messing around with RAMdrives or moving the temp folder.

Rated warranty is 800TBW.

Extrapolated out, it reaches that 800TBW in 2094. My as yet unborn greatgrandchildren will be senior citizens before this nears that rated lifespan.