SSD low disk space, Windows 10 update?

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017
Hey, recently (yesterday) my PC started freezing/lagging alot. I couldn't find the issue so i opened the case and cleared my PC from dust. Turned my PC back on and the problem continued. Later today i noticed that windows is updating (2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4457128)). And after that i noticed im running really low on SSD (6 GB free disk space). I had like 16 GB free disk space before. So my question is, how can i remove that update or disable it? The update just stucks at Status: Initializing... . I have no idea what takes so much disk space in my SSD. I guess the update files are loaded in, and i have no idea what to do right now, can anyone please help me? Big thanks!!

Solution
If you disconnect from the internet, windows will be unable to download updates and try to apply them.
That might give you time to move some files to the hard drive or delete them.

At least run disk cleanup.
When done, empty the recycle bucket to truly erase the contents.

Some files will default to the C drive.
Perhaps you can redirect them to your HDD without impacting performance.

Do use sleep?
If you do, make certain it is sleep to ram with no hibernation.
You have a fair amount of real ram, so perhaps you can reduce the size of your page file.

You could get some more ideas if you googled ssd advice dated quite some time ago when ssd devices were first introduced.

Bottom line____________________________________________________...
Windows is probably trying to save your old windows as a backup.
You could perhaps try to remove any unnecessary files to let the update complete.
Better, yet, buy a larger ssd. Once a ssd is 90% full, it will slow down and lose endurance.
I think if you bought a Samsung evo that was larger, you could use the free ssd migration app to move your ssd to a larger ssd.

I do not know if you can cancel the update.
Possibly, you could boot in safe mode and use system restore to get back to the point before the windows update started.
Disconnect from the internet during the process.

USAFRet

Titan
What size is your drive?

It is trying to do several things:
Download the update
Create a windows.old of the existing install
Utilize some free space to actually do this install

You can't really disable the update, nor should you.
Lack of free space is easily dealt with.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Yes, forgot to mention that i have no idea whats eating my storage, i just have windows, chrome and smaller things installed on SSD. (SSD max storag: 58GB's.
One more question, why do i need to DC from internet?
And also cant i just go to Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Installed updates and just uninstall the update from there?

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

I have 58GB SSD. I actually have no idea how should i free up some space as i dont have anything really installed on SSD, just my windows, antivirus and chrome probably. I tried looking for huge files but didnt find anything.

USAFRet

Titan

So you have a 64GB SSD?
Yeah, that is TooSmall !

Every 6 months you will run into this issue.

Windows 10 will try to install this update continuously, until it actually work.
We could go into details of why, and why that is a "good thing"...but it will keep trying.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Yes, i cant get a better SSD right now, isnt there a way to disable the updates somehow? Depends which SSD do you recommend and how much it will cost? Also im gaming but my games are at HDD, so.

USAFRet

Titan

With Win 10, updates are a forced thing. Various reasons, both good and bad.
Trying to turn off the updates simply because your drive is TooSmall is a really bad idea.

What is your budget for a new drive, and where would you be buying from?

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Buying from Estonia (Currency: Euros), i dont know whats the budget, i dont wanna waste really much money on SSD. I have HDD too, 1TB. Maybe i should install my windows on HDD? Then it will just be slower.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Captureslow.PNG

USAFRet

Titan
Those 2 big orange things on the top right...
8.7GB consumed with the pagefile and hibernation.

Turn the hibernation OFF
https://helpdeskgeek.com/how-to/windows-delete-hibernation-file-hiberfil-sys/

Depending on how much physical RAM you have, consider changing the default pagefile size.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

I have 8GB normal ram, not sure about physical. should i turn off the hibernation?

USAFRet

Titan

Absolutely turn off the Hibernation. That will free up about 5GB or so.

Also, investigate what is in your /User/ folder. There seems to be about 18GB of....stuff.

This is why a 64GB, even a 120GB drive...is TooSmall.
Unless you are rabid about where everything goes, things accumulate on that C drive faster than you think.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Alright turned it off, got 10GB free space now, will see if the windows update is gonna complete this time or no, i will reply you later if it worked or no.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Seems like it didnt help. It goes to Status: Installing -25% and when it reaches 25% it goes back to Status: Initalizing...and keeps repeating the same step.

USAFRet

Titan

Did you reboot during all of this?
If so, seems like there still isn't enough free space.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Did not reboot, im gonna do it now.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Nope, still.

USAFRet

Titan

Then still not enough free space.

WAY TOO SMALL....

You need to get a 250GB SSD ideally.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

Well, yes its small but to be honest windows only takes about 30-40GB, so. I have no idea what eats my 15gb storage. And i still cant do the update and still stuck at the point.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

I noticed it stucks at 25%, then goes back to looking for updates and again initalizing.. and same over and over again. Well i have 10,7GB free space now, cant believe its not enough.

alexulmiste

Reputable
Sep 29, 2017

How can i delete the downloaded update files and basically restart the windows update? Maybe some files are missing or broken and i need to do that.