Question SSD M.2 and one HDD disappeared from the motherboard boot selector after BIOS update

maconai

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
Hello,

I have a Gigabyte B460M Gaming HD with one SSD M.2 (for Windows), one SATA SSD and one SATA HDD.

Today, after performing a BIOS update, everything was OK but after the reboot with the new BIOS, I couldn't find anymore the SSD M.2 and SATA HDD on the boot selector and they appearing there before the BIOS udpate. Only the SATA SSD is showing up as the only boot device. But the weird thing is, going around in the BIOS looking for nVME and SATA settings, I can see all three devices being recognized and on a normal boot, without changing anything, the SSD M.2 still boots my Windows, without appearing on the boot selector. Windows also recognizes all three devices.

I tried reconnecting all three devices but after that the SATA SSD is still the only one appearing on the boot selector as boot device #1 .

Is it possible to go back to the previous BIOS version to see if it goes back to normal?
Or if I clear the CMOS, reset the BIOS and the SSD M.2 still doesn't appear, will the system still understand the SSD M.2 is the boot device automatically or will it try to boot from the devices showing on the boot selector list, which as of now, is only the SATA SSD without Windows?

I know it's working OK right now with Windows booting from the M.2 SSD, but I'm afraid if this boot order changes for some reason, my PC will try to boot only from the SATA SSD that doesn't have Windows and I won't be able to choose to boot from the SSD M.2 with Windows. That's why I want to fix this before I have any major problem.

maconai

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I was checking Windows disk management and it appears the EFI partition is only on the SATA SSD, which is the only one showing up on the boot selector from the BIOS, but the boot partition is on the M.2 SSD, which is the one with Windows and is the one currently booting the PC.

Could this be what's causing my problem (EFI on the wrong partition)?

When I installed Windows on the M.2 SSD, all my other drives were connected at the time. After looking up about the EFI partition on the wrong drive, it's apparently a Windows problem when you install Windows having many storage devices conneceted at the same time instead of just the one getting Windows.

maconai

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015
I discovered what was causing my problem. My EFI partition was on the games SSD and not on the M.2 SSD with Windows. Creating a new EFI partition with 100MB (FAT32) on the M.2 SSD, assigned it with the letter S: and used the command "bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI" command on Command Prompt running as admin.

Now my BIOS shows both SSDs as a bootable option.

Reactions: rgd1101

TRENDING THREADS