[SOLVED] SSD M.2 not found in motherboard

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, i am speaking for a friend who bought an M.2 for his motherboard ASUS Prime B450-K.

The SSD He's bought is the Crucial MX500 (CT500MXSSD4).

He's tried unplugging every sata device (only has 1 HDD). But we cannot find how to change the M.2 mode in the bios. I don't know what could be the culprit.

If you guys could give any piece of advice he'd be very happy, thank you guys in advance :)

EDIT: My neighbor who has the same setup as my friend (which i went to his house and built to my neighbor) the SSD works just fine (he didn't have any HDD plugged in and still don't have one).
EDIT 2: We also tried enabling and disabling CSM support, still no luck
EDIT 3: Bios was updated to the latest version (i assume that because my friend said he updated the bios)
EDIT 4: The M.2 makes a green light when the PC is turned on, so it's a working unit. But still not detected by bios

Last edited:
Solution
Well... I was going to ask you to re-check the FP wiring. But if you're already sure of that, then the board is still top of my list. At least from this distance trying to troubleshoot ;)
There is one other possibility. Is it possible he inadvertently added an extra standoff where there isn't one needed? I've had the experience of that causing the tracing on the board to ground out if the board is pressing too hard on it.

If all is good, last thing I'd do before sending it back is breadboard the system outside the case. Setting the board on an insulated surface, connect in just the CPU/cooler, RAM, GPU (unless he's using an APU), monitor, PSU, SSD, and keyboard. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the start...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the neighbor is really neighborly, maybe you can borrow his SSD temporarily and see if it is recognized. If not, you just have to go with process of elimination.
Any new M.2 SSD in a modern board like that should be recognized with the default UEFI settings. Just for kicks, have you tried installing W10 to see if it recognizes the drive?

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
If the neighbor is really neighborly, maybe you can borrow his SSD temporarily and see if it is recognized. If not, you just have to go with process of elimination.
Any new M.2 SSD in a modern board like that should be recognized with the default UEFI settings. Just for kicks, have you tried installing W10 to see if it recognizes the drive?
Hello, sorry for the late response, i gone sleep by then. And yes we have tried to boot a windows installer to see if it got recognized and still no luck. We tried with almost every single post we've seen online of people who claimed to have the ssd m.2 not showing up when it should be

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, sorry for the late response, i gone sleep by then. And yes we have tried to boot a windows installer to see if it got recognized and still no luck. We tried with almost every single post we've seen online of people who claimed to have the ssd m.2 not showing up when it should be
Okay so there's a new problem now, the pc fans and lights turn on but the pc won't show any signal. The Gpu works, the ram works, the cpu fan spins. All wires are properly attached. And the computer won't turn off by holding the power button :/

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Well... I was going to ask you to re-check the FP wiring. But if you're already sure of that, then the board is still top of my list. At least from this distance trying to troubleshoot ;)
There is one other possibility. Is it possible he inadvertently added an extra standoff where there isn't one needed? I've had the experience of that causing the tracing on the board to ground out if the board is pressing too hard on it.

If all is good, last thing I'd do before sending it back is breadboard the system outside the case. Setting the board on an insulated surface, connect in just the CPU/cooler, RAM, GPU (unless he's using an APU), monitor, PSU, SSD, and keyboard. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two pins that the start button would normally connect to. See if the drive is recognized in UEFI/BIOS this time.

One problem at a time...

Solution