Question SSD M.2 SATA Not Detected in BIOS

Valerio Bucci

Honorable
Oct 12, 2014
Hi there,

I just bought a V-NAND SSD (SAMSUNG 860 EVO SATA M.2) for my laptop (ASUS Vivobook 15 S510U).
Of course it isn't detected by the BIOS nor by the Samsung Magician software, Windows Device Management etc.

Now, I realise there are a lot of threads mentioning this kind of issue, and I have been trying to follow what has worked for everyone else, but so far I had no luck.
In the meantime I also texted to Samsung Support so if they manage to help me with this I can help the poor souls that are going to run into the same problem in the future.

So,
  • I know it must not be a compatibility issue, since I have the M.2 slot, and the SSD in question is SATA, not a NVME.
  • I am also quite sure everything has been connected properly on the motherboard.
  • All the drivers are properly installed.
What is left for me to do before I give up?
I am not gonna lie, I haven't been this frustrated in a long time...

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
An M.2 port can be NVMe only, or SATA III only, or both.

If this is your actual system, then the SATA port is in fact SATA III:

Have you contacted Asus?

Reactions: Valerio Bucci

Valerio Bucci

Honorable
Oct 12, 2014
An M.2 port can be NVMe only, or SATA III only, or both.

If this is your actual system, then the SATA port is in fact SATA III:

Have you contacted Asus?

First of all, thanks for the reply; I really do appreciate the help.

Funnily enough, I had initially bought a NVMe which wasn't working, but I then figured out that it was my fault. So being super stressed of repeating my mistake, I triple-checked that M.2 SATA was a compatible alternative. Thus, I think it's a SATA port, but perhaps there was some other detail I should have put attention into?

Anyway, yes, my laptop is the same one you mentioned - to be precise it's the S510UN - but I think it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of motherboard and BIOS.

I did try to contact ASUS support yesterday about this but I have received no response so far.

Mar 4, 2021
Hi there,

I just bought a V-NAND SSD (SAMSUNG 860 EVO SATA M.2) for my laptop (ASUS Vivobook 15 S510U).
Of course it isn't detected by the BIOS nor by the Samsung Magician software, Windows Device Management etc.

Now, I realise there are a lot of threads mentioning this kind of issue, and I have been trying to follow what has worked for everyone else, but so far I had no luck.
In the meantime I also texted to Samsung Support so if they manage to help me with this I can help the poor souls that are going to run into the same problem in the future.

So,
  • I know it must not be a compatibility issue, since I have the M.2 slot, and the SSD in question is SATA, not a NVME.
  • I am also quite sure everything has been connected properly on the motherboard.
  • All the drivers are properly installed.
What is left for me to do before I give up?
I am not gonna lie, I haven't been this frustrated in a long time...
Hello, you could fix your problem? also I having the same trouble, my bios doesnt get any ssd sata 3.