[SOLVED] SSD M2A_32G --vs-- M2P_16G difference

gafonator

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
Hello, I've been looking up the difference for an hour or so and I cannot get to understand this. My board has this:
  • 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support) (M2A_32G)
  • 1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x2 SSD support) (M2P_16G)
The 32 socket is populated by the SSD harddrive - XPG SX8200 Pro, Gen3x4, M.2 2280, 1TB
I wish to buy another one only 2TB in size and use these together.

My question is, is the disk in the M2P_16G slot going to be a lot slower or not? Some sources say it doesn't matter, some sources say it's 3x less the speed. Please help.

USAFRet

Titan
Mate, this is unbelievable. Is NVMe a sort of a scam as of yet than?

A helpful answer nonetheless! Thank you kindly.
Not a scam at all. Its just that too many people focus on the wrong thing.

Solid state drives get their main benefit in the near zero access time. Unlike spinning platters, they don't have to wait for the data to come around under the read head.
This goes for ALL SSD types, SATA III included.

Copying a single large file, a 6GB movie ISO, between 2x NVMe drives is a LOT faster than between 2x SATA SSD.

The various levels of NVMe drives have a faster sequential speed, but not a lot of difference in the small 4k segments. And that is where most of our computing happens.
A game level that is 2GB in size is not a single file, but rather hundreds (thousands?) of little tiny ones.

Its like going tot he car dealer, and basing your purchase on the Top Speed printed in the advertisement. "Well, Car A can go 160mph, and Car B can only do 140mph. So Car A is obviously better."
Even though all you do is drive to work and school, with a max speed of 60mph.

But, numbers sell product. Bigger numbers sell more.

Reactions: gafonator

gafonator

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016

So I've installed both nVMEs. Same type of hdd, 2TB in x2 slot and 1TB in x4 slot.
----
Crystal DiskMark shows appropriate values around 1,7/3,5 TB per sec sequential read/write.
---
Copying one file (6GB movie) from one drive to another is approx 250MB per second in Total Commander and 650MB per second in Windows Explorer. That's bonkers. These speeds are terrible. Please could anyone explain? What specs should I post to troubleshoot? Thank you in advance.

gafonator

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
Motherboard model name.
Model names of M.2 drives.
Screenshots from AS SSD benchmark on both drives.

Ok, my bad. Thanks for the patience. With only Mozilla opened, I've now 1,2TB copying speed in Total Commander. That's only 0,5TB less than max. transfer speed reported by Crystal Mark for the drive in the x2 slot. I am pretty much ok with this speed. No need to hustle for more.
---
Before that Steam was on, Mozilla with like 10 tabs, and I had been running a game from the HDD I copied from. Though, it really didn't occur to me that having a game stopped, in the menus, in the Windows background should have such an impact. And the benchmark showed maximum values as well at that moment.
Anyway, just for the record:
MB GIGABYTE B360 AORUS GAMING 3 WIFI - Intel B360
HDD XPG SX8200 Pro, Gen3x4, M.2 2280. I've one in x2 slot and another one in x4 slot.
-----
https://www.udrop.com/9bkP/x2_slot_nVME.JPG

https://www.udrop.com/9bkQ/x4_slot_nVME.JPG

Last edited: