SSD making soft beeping sound and BIOS won't detect it

techperson3435

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
Hi,

My OCZ Vector 512 GB SSD recently stopped working. I connected it to other computers to see if it worked on them (I tried with a SATA to USB converter as well), but it didn't. It would occasionally show up in the BIOS when it wanted to. It never showed ever in Windows Disk Management or Fedora Disk Utility. I listened carefully and It would make faint beeping sounds of 2 different pitches. I opened it up and identified the source of the sound to be two SMD inductors soldered onto the board.

The Drive Activity LED on the case would blink in sync with the beeping sounds. It would only make the sounds when the SATA data connector was plugged in. With only the power connector plugged in, it makes no sound. What could possibly be wrong with this SSD and is there any way I can try and fix it?
Thanks.

Solution
if it a firmware bug it may be toast. if the drive hit it end of life in smart it may have failed over to read only mode. may want to contact the ssd vendor to see if there a safe mode for end of life for there ssd. they may have a tool or way to be able to pull your data off a read only drive.
if it a firmware bug it may be toast. if the drive hit it end of life in smart it may have failed over to read only mode. may want to contact the ssd vendor to see if there a safe mode for end of life for there ssd. they may have a tool or way to be able to pull your data off a read only drive.

Solution