SSD migration error

xaryon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Hi,

my friend got himself an SSD, a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB (2,5" version), but he's experiencing issues with it - he's trying to get it to work on Windows 10 Pro.

The device is visible both in UEFI and Device Manager, but not in Disk Management. It was working fine in a machine he bought the SSD with. Also, the device details shows the following error message:

"Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_Samsung&Prod_SSD_850_EVO_250G\5&399a7c98&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

What we did to try and resolve the issue:

Hardware-wise:

- tried different SATA port on the motherboard

- tried different SATA cables

Software-wise:

- changed the SATA mode from AHCI to RAID and reverse

- installed the newest chipset driver

- uninstalled the device in Device Manager and installed it again

- installed the Samsung Magician to hopefully detect and hopefully configure the drive - software didn't detect it at all

The same issue perists regardless of the PC we used to troubleshoot it.

Any ideas what could we also try and do to resolve this?

Solution
Well, the problem has been solved by Windows installer. Reformat did the trick. Our awesome "technicians" didn't wipe the disk properly.

srdowns

Great
Jun 7, 2018
When you say it was working fine in a machine he bought the SSD with, is this now in a different one? If it is in a different computer now, and if this is the boot drive, did he do a clean install of Windows?

xaryon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
@srdowns @USAFRet he and I got our SSDs in a packet deal when we were able to buy our Dells (with i7-3770 CPUs) we used at our office, and the SSDs were installed in every machine. Both of us upgraded our Dells a little and sold them for little profit and we put the SSDs in our systems. Mine works perfectly, his however... Is the reason of this thread.

The drives themselves were wiped clean when we were buying out our Dells, so they didn't have any OS on them.