[SOLVED] SSD Model suggestion fpr Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard

Sudhanwa

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Hey Guys ,
I have computer with ASUS Z170 Deluxe motherboard . I know that it has M.2 Slot . SSDs offer M.2 Based interface. I am considering to purchase M.2 based SSD on top of my existing SATA bases SSD and regular drivers. I need your advice in selecting a model as I dont know much about M.2 port
I would be glad if anyone gives few SSD M.2 model names that are compatible with this motherboard. Thanks in advance

Solution
Your motherboard supports PCI 3.0 x4 NVMe drives. Do you have any brand preferences? Personally I usually go for Samsung SSDs.

Great M.2 SSDs are the Samsung 970 EVO (or the EVO Plus) and the 980, the Kingston KC2500 and the XPG SX8200 Pro.

Gonna take a look at your motherboard's QVL to see which of those are supposedly compatible. Have you got a specific size SSD in mind? I wouldn't recommend going 250GBs, nowadays 500GBs and up is recommended.

Edit: the QVL, a list that shows compatible SSDs and such, is very.. brief.. I'm assuming all of the SSDs I've listed will work just fine though.
Any of the plethora of quality NVME PCI-e 3.0 M.2 offerings should more than suffice...(the M.2 slot supports M.2 SATA or NVME drives, where most folks prefer the latter for the 32 Gbps speeds, topping out about 3500 MB/sec transfer speeds in real life)

Samsung's 970 EVO/EVO Plus are both quite popular, but, there are several options from Crucial, WD, etc...

Your motherboard supports PCI 3.0 x4 NVMe drives. Do you have any brand preferences? Personally I usually go for Samsung SSDs.

Great M.2 SSDs are the Samsung 970 EVO (or the EVO Plus) and the 980, the Kingston KC2500 and the XPG SX8200 Pro.

Gonna take a look at your motherboard's QVL to see which of those are supposedly compatible. Have you got a specific size SSD in mind? I wouldn't recommend going 250GBs, nowadays 500GBs and up is recommended.

Edit: the QVL, a list that shows compatible SSDs and such, is very.. brief.. I'm assuming all of the SSDs I've listed will work just fine though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sudhanwa
Solution

Sudhanwa

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017

Actually I am worried more about form factor ..accidently buying something which does not fit inside board . Storage size I am aiming is 500 GB because I already have 250 GB SATA SSD from WD.Which 500 GB SSD is best in terms of Prize to Performance ? How about this "Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S500)" Will this model fit inside my MOBO ?

Actually I am worried more about form factor ..accidently buying something which does not fit inside board . Storage size I am aiming is 500 GB because I already have 250 GB SATA SSD from WD.Which 500 GB SSD is best in terms of Prize to Performance ? How about this "Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V7S500)" Will this model fit inside my MOBO ?

Sure, all the Samsung 900 series will fit fine in your motherboard.

Best price-to-performance ratio depends on the pricing of those SSDs in your region, however. Over here, the 970 EVO Plus is actually the most expensive out of the ones I've listed. I can't say which is the best out of the ones I've listed price-to-performance ratio wise. The 970 EVO Plus is definitely the fastest of the bunch.

Edit: Do mind though, you will probably need to make a change in your motherboards UEFI BIOS. To my knowledge the M.2 drive, if set to NVMe, will be set to PCI 3.0 x2 by default, meaning that it won't perform optimally. You will need to change it to x4, if it's not already set to that.

Sudhanwa

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
Sure, all the Samsung 900 series will fit fine in your motherboard.

Best price-to-performance ratio depends on the pricing of those SSDs in your region, however. Over here, the 970 EVO Plus is actually the most expensive out of the ones I've listed. I can't say which is the best out of the ones I've listed price-to-performance ratio wise. The 970 EVO Plus is definitely the fastest of the bunch.

Edit: Do mind though, you will probably need to make a change in your motherboards UEFI BIOS. To my knowledge the M.2 drive, if set to NVMe, will be set to PCI 3.0 x2 by default, meaning that it won't perform optimally. You will need to change it to x4, if it's not already set to that.
Yes, last point about BIOS setup is something very important.Will figure that out thanks for info

USAFRet

Titan
I have never seen any 980, other than the pro. Granted I never look past what PCPP shows as options.
They are relatively new.

980 Pro

Reactions: logainofhades