Question SSD no longer recognized after switching SATA ports

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016
Hi all,

I recently got around to buying an M.2 SSD to put in my PC and installed it. In the process, I had to move my older SATA SSD, which happens to be my boot drive, to a different SATA port on the mobo for compatibility reasons. It might be important to note that I didn't even touch the old SSD during this process. I got everything and place and tried to boot it up, but I got a message saying that an OS could not be found or something of that nature. I went into my BIOS and found that the drive was not even recognized by the computer, and it showed the SATA port that it was plugged into as empty. Both my HDD and optical drive were recognized however. I then tried plugging it into different ports with different cables and still nothing showed up. I even uninstalled the M.2 drive an tried it's original port again, but it did not work. I am at a loss as for what I should do. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and what should be done? Am I looking at a broken SSD here??? At the very least is there any way that I could salvage Windows 10 from it so that I can actually boot the thing up and be able to do school work?

NOTE:
Mobo: MSI Z170A Pro (BIOS ver 1.8)
SSD: SanDisk Extreme Pro 240 GB
M.2 SSD: WD Blue SN550

UPDATE:
Updated BIOS to current version

Last edited:

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016
First and foremost, update your BIOS to the latest version, gradually working your way to the latest. Make sure you follow suite with the firmware updates as well.

List the two SSD's you're working with.

How would I go about updating BIOS without getting into Windows? Can I somehow import the file from a USB drive through my current BIOS? And the other SSD is an WD Blue SN550. At this point I just need to get the boot drive to start working again with or without the new SSD

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016
A couple of your SATA ports are disabled when using an M.2 drive.
Which ones depend on what type M.2 you're using.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170-A-PRO/Specification
SATA1~2 ports will be unavailable when installing the M.2 SATA interface module in M.2 slot. SATA3~4 ports will be unavailable when installing the M.2 PCIe interface module in M.2 slot.

Right this is the compatibility reason I was talking about in the original post. The weird part is that I tried plugging the old SSD into every port just to try them all and nothing worked. And even weirder, when I took the M.2 drive out, I plugged the old SSD back into its original port and it wasn’t being recognized still

TheStevoshield11

Reputable
Jun 11, 2016
First and foremost, update your BIOS to the latest version, gradually working your way to the latest. Make sure you follow suite with the firmware updates as well.

List the two SSD's you're working with.

Alright so I was able to update the BIOS. Still not detecting anything from the SSD. I'm really not sure why this could be happening. When I first built this PC, the factory BIOS version was able to detect the SSD immediately without any problems, and it was working fine booting up Windows without a problem. When I went to install the new M.2 SSD the only thing I did was move the SATA port that the drive was put into and that's it. Is there anything I should try next?