[SOLVED] SSD no longer recognized by Windows, shows in BIOS

kaltira

Honorable
Nov 10, 2015
I recently returned from a week-long trip and when I booted my pc up, my M.2 XPG SX8200 Pro was no longer showing up in Windows. It has previously worked without issues for the 10 months since I purchased it, both in this build for 2 months, and my previous Intel build. The drive wasn't showing in File Explorer, Disk Management, DiskPart, or Device Manager. The odd thing to me is it shows up in BIOS and it passed the self-tests available from BIOS.
Tried so far with no luck:
  1. I tried moving it to another M.2 slot, with the same result and then back again. I don't have another computer to test it in.
  2. I updated the motherboard BIOS
  3. I updated the drive controller drivers for the motherboard
  4. I deleted the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller driver from device manager
  5. I deleted AMD-Raid Bottom Device from storage controllers in device manager (it came back though)
  6. I can't check drive firmware since it isn't detected from Windows
The drive is still under warranty, so I reached out to ADATA, but their solution is an RMA. I am concerned there is something else wrong (either with Mobo, software, or user error) since there seem to be several other people with similar issues and I would prefer not to lose the data if possible.

Computer details:
Drive in question: M.2 XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB
Processor: Ryzen 9 5900X
MoBo: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Ultra
GPU: Nvidia 2070S

Thank you for any ideas you have.

Edit - Yep, I am dumb. When you remove the AMD-Raid Bottom Device driver (see 5 above), you have to check the box to delete the driver files. That fixed it.

Last edited:
Solution
You've pretty much ruined all things concerning the storage controller's drivers by uninstalling them. If you're able to boot into your OS's GUI, try and reinstall your chipset drivers(not RAID drivers) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. As for the drive not showing up, it's often times an issue with your OS or the motherboard requiring a BIOS update. This is why we advise that the motherboard is on the latest BIOS update before dropping in a ram upgrade/kit or a storage drive, namely an M.2 SSD.

You should work with the latest drivers when reinstalling them.

Another note, always make sure your critical content is backed up Game libraries can be redownloaded but other things can't.

Lutfij

Titan
You've pretty much ruined all things concerning the storage controller's drivers by uninstalling them. If you're able to boot into your OS's GUI, try and reinstall your chipset drivers(not RAID drivers) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. As for the drive not showing up, it's often times an issue with your OS or the motherboard requiring a BIOS update. This is why we advise that the motherboard is on the latest BIOS update before dropping in a ram upgrade/kit or a storage drive, namely an M.2 SSD.

You should work with the latest drivers when reinstalling them.

Another note, always make sure your critical content is backed up Game libraries can be redownloaded but other things can't.

Solution