SSD not a bootable drive?

Ytry

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014
So I installed an ssd two days ago, and installed windows 7 on the ssd. I was duel booting multiple versions of windows with my old HDD. Eventually I got all the data off the drive that I wanted, and went to format the drive. Windows did not all me to format it so I was doing a bit of trouble shooting, and in the process of doing that I unplugged my old drive. When I did that and tried to turn my pc on it said I had no bootable drives, even though my SSD has windows on it. Is there a reason my ssd is not considered a bootable drive? When I have my old HDD pluged in I can boot from this drive just fine.

Solution
Hey there, Ytry!

What versions of Windows are you using?
Most probably the problem is that the boot record is on the HDD and that's why you cannot boot without it plugged in. This usually happens when you install an SSD with the HDD still plugged in, that's why it's recommended to unplug the HDD when performing a clean install on the SSD.
I suggest you try troubleshooting with a Windows repair disk and see if it will fix the issue. Also make sure the SSD is plugged in the SATA 1 port.
Another thing you can do is use Windows Command prompt and run the commands: "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot". These will help you fix the boot record. Here's a step-by-step that might be useful...
As you already had a bootable Windows system on the hard drive, Windows 7 used these boot files when you installed it. Start the computer with only the SSD connected and reinstall Windows; it will then install the correct boot files on the SSD.

Hey there, Ytry!

What versions of Windows are you using?
Most probably the problem is that the boot record is on the HDD and that's why you cannot boot without it plugged in. This usually happens when you install an SSD with the HDD still plugged in, that's why it's recommended to unplug the HDD when performing a clean install on the SSD.
I suggest you try troubleshooting with a Windows repair disk and see if it will fix the issue. Also make sure the SSD is plugged in the SATA 1 port.
Another thing you can do is use Windows Command prompt and run the commands: "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot". These will help you fix the boot record. Here's a step-by-step that might be useful:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-windows

Keep me posted if this works or not. The problem might be somewhere else.
Hope this helps. :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution