Question SSD not being recognized in BIOS randomly.

Jun 22, 2019
I have been having a strange issue where my PC will crash at random with either CRITICAL_PROCESS_FAILED or UNEXPECTED_STORE_EXCEPTION. After the blue screen, my PC will not be able to boot into Windows. When I checked in the BIOS, my SSD which houses Windows is completely missing. However, my secondary hard drive is always there. If I forcefully shut down the PC with the power button enough times, the PC will boot into Windows like normal. If I turn off the PC, and reinsert the sata data cable, the bios will recognize it and boot into Windows. Is this a problem with my sata cables, the drive, or the motherboard? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: After the crash, the bios does not recognize my SSD with Windows installed on it. However, if I clear cmos, it will be recognized again.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019
If you still can boot up your PC right now, try to check your SSD to see it is going to die or not.
How to: https://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

If your SSD has problem, buy the new one, otherwise update the MB BIOS, chipset driver, etc. Keep in mind, when you update the BIOS, it may or may not brick your MB.
CrystalDisk indicates that my SSD health is good. I have updated my BIOS to the latest version, and the problem still persists. When I first encountered the problem, I reset the PC while keeping personal files. I have ordered another SSD and will test if that makes any difference.