[SOLVED] SSD not bootable drive

Nov 5, 2020
I just did a fresh build. MSI Z490 Mobo. SSD (Samsung 860 Evo) is showing in bios under storage but not as a bootable drive. I have installed windows 10 via usb to the SSD. This doesn’t seem to make the SSD a bootable drive either. I’m unsure as what to do next, can anyone help? I can post picture after work.

Solution
Okay my current options to boot from are UEFI hard disk and UEFI USB Key. When I click on the hard disk option it doesn’t allow me to select my ssd, even after installing windows. Do I possibly need to formate this ssd on another computer to GPT? Or am I just missing an option in bios to make this SATA SSD an option?

You shouldn't need to format it to GPT. When you installed windows, did you boot from Windows USB? Go through options and manually select hard drive as then you format them there and delete all the options and it shows only your SSD/HDD?

Also, it might be worth trying a different sata port on the motherboard, I had a problem once where the sata port a SSD was in wouldn't work for boot option.

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
I just did a fresh build. MSI Z490 Mobo. SSD (Samsung 860 Evo) is showing in bios under storage but not as a bootable drive. I have installed windows 10 via usb to the SSD. This doesn’t seem to make the SSD a bootable drive either. I’m unsure as what to do next, can anyone help? I can post picture after work.

You might have to go directly into your bios, find the boot menu I think it is which shows all hard drives and enable the SSD or usually drag to boot 1. Depends on the bios layout. It might just be changing the priorities.

Nov 5, 2020
You might have to go directly into your bios, find the boot menu I think it is which shows all hard drives and enable the SSD or usually drag to boot 1. Depends on the bios layout. It might just be changing the priorities.
Okay my current options to boot from are UEFI hard disk and UEFI USB Key. When I click on the hard disk option it doesn’t allow me to select my ssd, even after installing windows. Do I possibly need to formate this ssd on another computer to GPT? Or am I just missing an option in bios to make this SATA SSD an option?

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016

You shouldn't need to format it to GPT. When you installed windows, did you boot from Windows USB? Go through options and manually select hard drive as then you format them there and delete all the options and it shows only your SSD/HDD?

Also, it might be worth trying a different sata port on the motherboard, I had a problem once where the sata port a SSD was in wouldn't work for boot option.

Solution