SSD Not Booting Properly

seang123

Great
Feb 19, 2018
I recently just installed a new SSD into my PC. When I installed Windows and booted from it, everything had reset. None of my old files form my hard HDD show up on my desktop and none of my drivers are installed yet and it shows that my HDD is there and is full with little GB remaining like it normally is. How do I fix this?

Solution

"files" that are on the HDD can be accessed. As said, it's sort of a pain to access them in their current locations.
Applications WILL need to be reinstalled. You can install them on either drive, but they do need that actual new installation.

The ideal way to proceed with a drive change like this is to copy anything from the old HDD you really want to keep off to some other drive.
Then wipe that drive completely. Start with a blank slate.
Then, copy some stuff back.

And applications really do want to be installed on the SSD. They will...

USAFRet

Titan

You have a new OS. You need to install the drivers with it.
The ones that existed in the old drive and OS are of no use.

Desktop files? Similar. They don't automagically appear in the new user account desktop. Or Document libraries.

seang123

Great
Feb 19, 2018

So how do I get the files from the HDD to work with the SSD without it taking up room on the SSD?

seang123

Great
Feb 19, 2018

250GB and I want the files that I use like on my desktop, but can I use them through the HDD while using the OS through the SSD? I want to be able to keep all the documents that I don't really use daily on the HDD but able to access them while using the OS on my SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

1. You need to reinstall all your hardware drivers. The new OS knows nothing about what was in the old OS.

2. You can access the original Desktop files that live on the old OS drive. But its sort of a pain.
You have to navigate to the /Users/ folder on that drive, and then the old username, and then Desktop/Documents/Music/etc...

3. Any applications that you had will need to be reinstalled. The new OS knows nothing about them.

seang123

Great
Feb 19, 2018

So any applications/files I want to access through the SSD OS will have to be downloaded onto the SSD in order to be used on the SSD OS instead of accessing my HDD while using the SSD OS? In other words I have to download all my stuff onto the SSD that I want to use from the HDD. But can I drag files onto my desktop and such without actually installing it to the SSD as a shortcut?

USAFRet

Titan

"files" that are on the HDD can be accessed. As said, it's sort of a pain to access them in their current locations.
Applications WILL need to be reinstalled. You can install them on either drive, but they do need that actual new installation.

The ideal way to proceed with a drive change like this is to copy anything from the old HDD you really want to keep off to some other drive.
Then wipe that drive completely. Start with a blank slate.
Then, copy some stuff back.

And applications really do want to be installed on the SSD. They will benefit from that speed increase. That's why you have the SSD.
Games, not so much. You can have them on the HDD.

Solution

seang123

Great
Feb 19, 2018

Does this mean I have to recreate accounts and such because I have multiple people on the computer.