[SOLVED] SSD not booting. Recognized as a SATA PM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2018
Today as I was using my pc like I normally do, everything just froze. I restarted, and windows prompted me with a repair screen, saying that an important boot device isn't connected (I have windows 10 installed on the SSD). In BIOS it shows as a "SATA PM" and no longer says the brand of the SSD (in this case kingston). It still says it's 240GB but refuses to boot from it. I've tried different ports, different cables, but nothing worked. My hard drive works and is recognized without problem. I don't have another computer to test on but I feel like the SSD just failed. Any help?

Solution
Using an OS that is a carryover from a different build may not work if the systems hardware isn't similar.

Try clearing the CMOS and doing a clean install after deleting all existing partitions on the drive. You have an opportunity to do that at the beginning of the Windows 10 installation.
Using an OS that is a carryover from a different build may not work if the systems hardware isn't similar.

Try clearing the CMOS and doing a clean install after deleting all existing partitions on the drive. You have an opportunity to do that at the beginning of the Windows 10 installation.

Solution
Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer
Choose Troubleshoot
Choose Command Prompt
When the Command Prompt loads, type the following commands:

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd

tomshardw

Distinguished
May 9, 2014
Inside the BIOS, try to set all the SATA ports to SATA (switch them from IDE).

I had SATA ports 1 to 3 set as SATA and
I had SATA port 4 and 5 set as IDE and I couldn't boot from an SSD connected to these 2 ports. At boot the SSD was named "SATA PM: SSD_name".
I didn't remember seeing "SATA PM [...]" before and I think I changed the setting when I reset the BIOS to default values.
After I switched the 4 and 5 ports type to SATA, the boot menu said for the SSD: "SATA 4: SSD_name ".

The bios setting for the 4 and 5 Sata ports was something like:
"on chip SATA port4/5 type as"
and had the options "SATA" and "IDE".

SATA ports 1 to 3 had their own setting and was set to SATA.

USAFRet

Titan
Inside the BIOS, try to set all the SATA ports to SATA (switch them from IDE).

I had SATA ports 1 to 3 set as SATA and
I had SATA port 4 and 5 set as IDE and I couldn't boot from an SSD connected to these 2 ports. At boot the SSD was named "SATA PM: SSD_name".
I didn't remember seeing "SATA PM [...]" before and I think I changed the setting when I reset the BIOS to default values.
After I switched the 4 and 5 ports type to SATA, the boot menu said for the SSD: "SATA 4: SSD_name ".

The bios setting for the 4 and 5 Sata ports was something like:
"on chip SATA port4/5 type as"
and had the options "SATA" and "IDE".

SATA ports 1 to 3 had their own setting and was set to SATA.
3 year old thread, already solved.

Please don't dredge up ancient threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.