SSD not booting up on a P5B-VM!

antimatter86

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Sup,

I just got my crucial M4 SSD and can't get it to boot up! The mobo is fairly old, it's the P5B-VM series and it doesn't have the AHCI option in the BIOS, but it does detect the Crucial M4 as a Hard Drive in Sata 1. I tried booting from the CD first and then the SSD, but all I get is a black screen with a blinking underscore.

Any ideas of what I should do next? :??:

MOBO manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5B-VM/e2833_p5b-vm.pdf

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

You have to set the drive up first. Partition and format. Then, it will probaby work. AHCI is storngly recommended, but not required. And, that drive is backwards compatible with the slower sata speeds. If you have a working computer, and an external drive, you can use that to set up the drive b4 you install it. Good luck.

antimatter86

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Well I set the drive up I think, through disk management, as a new volume. But now I'm getting:

"BOOTMGR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
"

if I try making SSD the only boot device. :sweat:

antimatter86

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Okay, so the problem is that the DVD drive does not recognize windows 7 cd! However, it recognize other cd's I put into it. Very strange! So I tried booting windows 7 from a USB, and no luck, I dont think my mobo likes USB's for some reason, even though I set it as Hard Disk and Boot 1, it still didn't boot windows and the USB as a boot option didn't show up afterwards.

So I think the key is to get windows 7 installed on the SSD and then it'll boot like a normal drive. Can I just drag the windows 7 setup files from the extracted iso into the SSD and install windows 7 from the SSD while its hooked up to a working machine? Or clone windows 7 from a working hard drive?

I'm running out of ideas. Help plz.!

antimatter86

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Turns out my dvd drive doesn't work, so it never booted windows 7 and that's why I had so much trouble.

Anyway, I got the iso and extracted the files into the ssd from another computer and bam windows 7 installed in my main computer from just the SSD and no other source.

Hope this helps some 1. :)