Question SSD not detected after switching from Intel Optane

Oct 4, 2019
I bought a laptop (Asus Vivobook Pro 15, N580GD-E4189T) which has an Intel HM370 chipset. It came with 1TB HDD + 16 GB of Intel Optane memory. I wanted to switch the Optane memory (MEMPEK1J016GA) for a M.2 SSD, the Crucial MX500 (CT500MX500SSD4).

The problem:
I switched the Optane module for the Crucial MX500. On the first boot I entered the BIOS and it actually detected the new SSD and the old HDD (already there from the start). After that I booted into Windows 10, and when I logged in the laptop turned off. After a bit of a struggle to turn it back on, the laptop doesn't detect the SSD anymore (not on the BIOS, not Windows 10) no matter what I try.

What I've tried already:
  • Switching to AHCI on the BIOS settings, switched to Microsoft SATA drivers on Device Manager
  • Fresh Windows 10 reinstall (on the HDD)
  • Plugging it out and back in
  • Put the Optane module back in (BIOS recognizes it no problem)
  • Tried with a different SSD (same model, 256gb version) and the same problem happened, it doesn't detect any of the 2 SSDs
Hardware list:
Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019
I noticed that the Optane module uses PCIe instead of SATA. Do you think that using a PCIe SSD like Crucial P1 will make any difference? I don't know what happens and why it doesn't detect the SATA SSDs anymore.

Oct 4, 2019
I tried connecting the MX500 to my other build, which has a MSI Z370 A-PRO. I disconnected all the storage devices from it and only connected the MX500 on the M2 slot (labeled as M2_1). When I booted the computer, it first stopped (like it turned off automatically) and inmediately after it booted again. I checked the BIOS and it doesn't detect any of the two SSDs I mentioned (two MX500, one 250GB and the other 500GB).

When I connected my old drives again, it did the same thing (boots and stops for a bit, then boots again). It only does that the first time after you change the connected drives.

Are my MX500 dead or did I do any of the installation process incorrectly? I hope I haven't killed both SSDs when I've tried installing them on my laptop.