SSD not detected in bios but detected in windows

Kzahran

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I just bought an MSI GE62 apache pro laptop. It came without an ssd out of the box so I bought a 256GB 950 Pro samsung SSD and placed in the M.2 slot. When I opened the bios after booting up, I couldn't find the SSD. When windows booted I opened disk management and found it there and I was able to create a new volume and use it. I rebooted into the bios again and couldn't find it as well. I bought it to use it as a boot drive but i can't now since i cant find it in the bios. Thanks in advance to whoever answers.

Solution
So it doesn't go through the SATA controller then and it's a PCIE drive? I'm afraid I won't be able to help with the BIOS settings. However you should be able to find that in the User Manual.
Hey there, Kzahran.

Booting from an M.2 drive by using a laptop, which does not come with such a drive is often not supported. You could get in touch with the laptop manufacturer's customer support for more info on that or check the User Manual. Regardless of that, you should be able to see it in the BIOS. Was the boot priority menu the only place you've checked for it?

I'd recommend that you reset or update (if you have available updates) your BIOS/UEFI and see if that fixes things up.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Kzahran

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

Thank you for replying Boogieman. Another configurations of the laptop come with a 128 ssd as the boot drive. However, that config was $200 dollars more expensive. So, I went with the config that was without the ssd and bought one myself. When i was in the bios i changed the sata config from AHCI to Raid and then the SSD appeared under the the PCIE SSD slot. When i saved and quit the bios, it wouldn't boot into windows and the UEFI boot from hardisk setting wasn't there. So what steps should i follow now in order to be able to boot from the ssd.

Hoping to hear from you soon.