[SOLVED] SSD Not Detected

aaronh1212

Commendable
Sep 4, 2019
so i recently got a new M.2 second hand , was working perfectly but it was the only drive in the system it came from , so it had windows etc already on it . so when i put it into my PC it booted onto the M.2 rather than my main boot drive but when i went into the bios my main boot drive was no where to be found so i could not boot into my main OS. My main OS is on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD and is working 100 percent fine and works like normal and is detected without the M.2 drive installed, but as soon as the M.2 drive gets installed the drive seems to disappear from existence. So due to this the only OS i can get onto with the m.2 installed is the version that is on the m.2 SSD which means i cannot format the drive so that there is no versions of windows on it and since i can get into my own main OS i cannot format it that way as well. my PC is the only thing i have as well that supports a m.2 SSD so its the only way i have to find a way to wipe it.

Any suggest on how to get the drive wiped? or even better just get my Main OS drive detected whenever the M.2 is installed as I've no clue and don't have an extreme knowledge of this sort of thing. thanks

Solution
You don't change it so that they are not 'disabled'.
Rather...you move the data cable for the 860 EVO to one that is NOT disabled.

Look in your user manual for the allowble configurations.
"Refer to "1-8 Internal Connectors," for the installation notices for the M.2 and SATA connectors. "

aaronh1212

Commendable
Sep 4, 2019
Remove the M.2 and the system boots normally from the 860 EVO?

What specific motherboard is this on?
Likely one or more SATA ports is disabled when using a drive in an M.2 port.
Ye when i remove it system boots normally if it is one of the ports disabled when using a drive in an M.2 port how to i fix this so they are not disabled?

edit:
also its a aorus z390 pro motherboard

USAFRet

Titan
You don't change it so that they are not 'disabled'.
Rather...you move the data cable for the 860 EVO to one that is NOT disabled.

Look in your user manual for the allowble configurations.
"Refer to "1-8 Internal Connectors," for the installation notices for the M.2 and SATA connectors. "

Solution

Endre

Reputable
so i recently got a new M.2 second hand , was working perfectly but it was the only drive in the system it came from , so it had windows etc already on it . so when i put it into my PC it booted onto the M.2 rather than my main boot drive but when i went into the bios my main boot drive was no where to be found so i could not boot into my main OS. My main OS is on a Samsung 860 EVO SSD and is working 100 percent fine and works like normal and is detected without the M.2 drive installed, but as soon as the M.2 drive gets installed the drive seems to disappear from existence. So due to this the only OS i can get onto with the m.2 installed is the version that is on the m.2 SSD which means i cannot format the drive so that there is no versions of windows on it and since i can get into my own main OS i cannot format it that way as well. my PC is the only thing i have as well that supports a m.2 SSD so its the only way i have to find a way to wipe it.

Any suggest on how to get the drive wiped? or even better just get my Main OS drive detected whenever the M.2 is installed as I've no clue and don't have an extreme knowledge of this sort of thing. thanks

The M.2 connection is better than SATA.
If the M.2 drive is also an NVMe drive, then definitely you should install Windows on it.

1. Remove the M.2 drive
  2. Boot with a Windows 10 boot USB flash drive and format partition C
  3. Introduce back the M.2 drive, format it and reinstall Windows 10 on it from the USB flash drive.

USAFRet

Titan
The M.2 connection is better than SATA.
If the M.2 drive is also an NVMe drive, then definitely you should install Windows on it.

1. Remove the M.2 drive
  2. Boot with a Windows 10 boot USB flash drive and format partition C
  3. Introduce back the M.2 drive, format it and reinstall Windows 10 on it from the USB flash drive.
I wouldn't. The actual user facing difference between a good SATA III and an NVMe is not necessarily mind blowing.
In a lot of use cases, you can't really tell.

Given a fully functioning already configured 860 EVO as the OS drive, I'd probably leave it.

Endre

Reputable
I wouldn't. The actual user facing difference between a good SATA III and an NVMe is not necessarily mind blowing.
In a lot of use cases, you can't really tell.

Given a fully functioning already configured 860 EVO as the OS drive, I'd probably leave it.

Faster is always better!
If the M.2 connection is better, why not use it?
The only hassle would be reinstalling Windows.
😃

aaronh1212

Commendable
Sep 4, 2019
It's not necessarily that much faster to justify a whole reinstall.
And depending on use, that drive may be put to better use as a secondary drive. Photo or video editing, for instance.
Actually once I got it detected by using a different sata slot on the motherboard since the m.2 had windows on it and so did the 860 I just booted to the m.2 and formatted the 860 and did a windows reset since pc was full of junk etc so it all worked out in the end

Reactions: Endre

USAFRet

Titan
Actually once I got it detected by using a different sata slot on the motherboard since the m.2 had windows on it and so did the 860 I just booted to the m.2 and formatted the 860 and did a windows reset since pc was full of junk etc so it all worked out in the end

a new M.2 second hand
I don't care how well it seems to work right now...that needs a full wipe and reinstall.
In addition, just 'formatting' the 860 EVO left behind the original boot partition.