Question SSD not recognised after win 10 installation/updates

stoppage

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
I need an experts opinion here please on an SSD..it’s a “WD Blue SA510”, almost new. I installed Win 10 Pro an a new Asus Mobo…P8H61-M, everything went o.k., and I proceeded to install updates. On a restart after the updates…..Disaster….suddenly comes a message to install a bootable device, the SSD wasn’t recognised. So I booted to BIOS (uefa) ….not recognised. Booted into a Linux Lite on CD..not recognised. Changed SATE settings in Uefa to IDE, no change. Checked out cables, changed SATA port, no change. Is my SATA bricked? I need to at least be able to read files from non OS partitions. Can somebody help me out here please? Obliged

Hey there,

So, when you installed Windows to the new drive, was there another drive with windows on (or previously on it), then that is your issue.

The boot record may be on an another drive, and so the new install won't boot.

You should have only 1 drive in the system at Windows install. Then add the others and you can use the old drive or format it.

Apr 25, 2023
A common reason why Windows 10 fails to recognize an SSD is a conflicting or missing drive letter. You can quickly solve this issue by changing or assigning a new drive letter to the SSD in the Disk Management utility.

stoppage

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Thank you all for your help. by the Win 10 installation I only had one ssd onboard. I´ve checked out alll ports, cables etc. Looks like I need a new ssd. What I don't understand is that it loaded win 10 without a problem and only after the updates windows refused to recognise the ssd. Is there any possable way I can retrieve at least some date from this thing......from logical partitions.? I don't unfortunately have everything backed up. That would be some help at least