Question SSD not recognised in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

szugyibela

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
I recently put together a Ryzen system with an Asus prime X370-pro motherboard and an Samsung 960 evo m.2 Solid State Drive (Windows 10). The SSD drive is not detected by the windows installer, or the BIOS.

I have updated the BIOS to the current version, I have tried removing and putting back in the SSD, I have tried setting the boot control to UEFI and Legacy, and just UEFI, nothing seems to work. I installed Windows 10 to the hard drive instead, and made sure drivers were present for everything. There are no driver issues in the Device Manager. The SSD is still not detected

Does anyone have any suggestions?

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Hmm, was just thinking because PCIe #2 is shared with the M.2 slot for Ryzen CPUs that could possible be an issue.

:??:

1. Is the Samsung 960 a "virgin" drive, uninitialized, unpartitioned, unformatted?

2. Presumably after installing that m.2 drive you attempted to install the Win 10 OS onto it, right? And you're quite sure you've correctly/properly installed that drive in the system of course.

3. Can we assume you used the Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool (DVD or USB flash drive) containing the Win 10 setup files to install the OS? If so, what precisely happened during your attempt to boot to the Win 10 Setup?

4. Did the system return any error messages? You were not able to reach the opening Win 10 Setup? What exactly happened?

szugyibela

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
1: Yes, the 960 evo ist a new SSD, bought it on Friday
2: Driver is properly installed, I tested it many times
3: Yes, i Downloaded the "Microsoft Windows Media Creation Tool" (Flash drive). After Boot and try to install the WIN10 pro, The 960 EVO didnt shown up in the menü, windows was intalled on my 1TB WD blue.
I have boot the System more time without the WD 1TB: "no bootable devices".
4: No error message, If i boot the syístem with the new 960 EVO: Noo bootable devices.

I guess, the issue ist the 960 EVO, or the M.2 ×4 PCIe

Today I test the SSD on my frends PC, he is running a 960 PRO on it.

With your Samsung 960 SSD as the ONLY installed drive in the system have you tried installing the Win 10 OS onto that drive?
Now you indicate Win 10 was installed on your HDD. You made no mention of that drive in your original query. Was that drive installed at the time you attempted to install the OS onto the M.2 SSD?
Ensure that ONLY the M.2 SSD is connected when you attempt to install the OS, capiche?

szugyibela

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
I used 2 new drives: Samsung 960 evo and WD blue 1 TB, booted the systems many tmes with the 1Tb and without.
After I install the WIN10 to the 1TB driver, to download al new driver for the mobo. Still not showing up in bios or in the Windows.
I chekked the Device Manager, there was no SSD, an no unknown dievice.

I cannot comprehend what you're saying. You state you "booted the systems many times with the 1 Tb (HDD) and without". I have no idea as to the meaning of that phrase. Are you indicating that you were able to boot to the OS on the Samsung SSD at some time, but not now?

Your statement "After I install the WIN10 to the 1TB driver, to download al new driver for the mobo." makes no sense to me at all. I assume you're not a native speaker of English. Is there someone who can help you with the language so we have a clear & precise understanding of the problem you're experiencing and the steps you've taken to resolve it?

szugyibela

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
Thanks for all. We testet the 960 EVO in 2 another pc (laptop ang PC) both of them use an NVMe x4 SSD (kingston hyperyx, 960 pro). My new 960 didnt shown up in bios or Windows, so I return it to the shop, the drive could be damaged during the delivering. I get my new Driver in 2-3 days.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

Sounds solid. I am glad you found a resolution :D

Status
Not open for further replies.