System
asus x570 crosshair hero 8 wifi
3900x ryzen
4080 ventus
1 4tb seagate barracuda
1 2tb barracude
1 Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 3D2,
corsdair 850 watt psu

Hi, I rcently bought this ssd on sale from amazon and just installed it to find that neither windows (disk managgement) or my bios recognize that I have installed fourth drive (2nd ssd) , I have tried reseating it on the motherboard using the m.2_2 slot on my x570 motherboard. Unfortunately I do not have another device to test this on, So for now I am assuming that the product is not defective and there is something else going on. My next step is to reseat the new ssd where the old one is and switch them around but was hoping not to do that. Any help would be appreciated, also my OS is on the older ssd, was just hoping to add extra space pain free but alas

Last edited:
What is the current motherboard BIOS version?

You ARE aware that there were/are a large number of these 980 Pro drives that have been recalled by Samsung because of problems, and firmware updates for them that somewhat, sort of, fix the problems they had? Probably worth it to first swap it out with another of the M.2 drives to see if it's recognized at all.

d99

Dec 29, 2022
What is the current motherboard BIOS version?

You ARE aware that there were/are a large number of these 980 Pro drives that have been recalled by Samsung because of problems, and firmware updates for them that somewhat, sort of, fix the problems they had? Probably worth it to first swap it out with another of the M.2 drives to see if it's recognized at all.
I was not aware before I bought it, only after when I started having problems firing it up. That being said my bios is about a year out of date (last updated on asus website 2/08 this year) so I will update that and come back with what happened, thanks

Last edited:

d99

Dec 29, 2022
Yes, I'd start with the BIOS update because it's very likely that the controller for that drive wasn't even supported on a BIOS from a year ago.
Hi, thanks for the help, so ive updated my bios and still nothing, but wanted to be sure of something. So the ssd that is installed and works is a pcie 3 while the new ssd I am trying to install is a pcie 4. Now my motherboard supports both but could this be causing a compatibility issue? I will look it up in the meantime, I checked to see that I have enough power. Going to try to reinstall it on more time as I have no reason to believe that my m.2_2 slot is broken, and if it is I am kind of out of luck as my operating system is one the older intel ssd