SSD not recognized by Windows

Ydur31

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I have just built my custom gaming pc and have had a problem that many other people have had but I still can't find a solution to mine specifically. I am trying to install Windows 7 64bit pro on my Samsung 850 Evo SSD. I have a Asus 170i pro gaming motherboard and the SSD is recognized through the bios but whenever I put in the disk for Windows 7 to instal, Windows doesn't recognize it and says that their are no drivers installed. I've tried changing the SSD to an MBR, didn't work, I've heard that you have to change the SATA to an HDCI but the bios doesn't have anyway of changing it to an HDCI. I need help. I can't install Windows 7.

Solution

You don't use EZ flash. The application is called ASUS EZ installer. To run this application, you need to use another working window pc.

Here the more detailed guide on installing win 7 on 100 series:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/DE164_100_Series_Windows_7_Setup_Guide_print.pdf
Is BIOS set to UEFI or Legacy? It needs to be set to UEFI. Once set to UEFI, make sure SATA mode is set to AHCI. Please note that the AHCI option won't be there until you've set BIOS to UEFI mode, saved your changes and rebooted back into BIOS setup.

Also, if there are multiple SATA ports on the motherboard, try using them all. Some motherboards require that the boot drive is in a certain SATA port. If there are multiple groups of SATA ports on the motherboard, try each port in each group until you get a result.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Ydur31 : "SSD isn't recognized by Windows 7 installer"

Ydur31

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

its already in UEFI, its set to AHCI, i figured that out, but it still wouldn't work, so i tried moving the SATA cable to all SATA ports and each time it would still say that their are no drivers.

Ydur31

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

I did what suztra said and i encontered another problem, the EZ flash wont load the file i put on my flashdrive. itll either freeze or wont do anything. :(

You don't use EZ flash. The application is called ASUS EZ installer. To run this application, you need to use another working window pc.

Here the more detailed guide on installing win 7 on 100 series:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/Z170-K/DE164_100_Series_Windows_7_Setup_Guide_print.pdf

Solution

Ydur31

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Okay, so i went out and got a slim optical drive and used that instead of a USB optical drive. I'm hoping this one will work and will finally be able to use my new PC. But i forgot to get a micro-SATA power cable for the thing so now it will be even longer before i can actually download the thing. it shouldn't have been this complicated or hard to do, but its okay, i got lots of help from this website and i am great full.

Thanks.