[SOLVED] SSD not recognized when an HDD is added

hominamad

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2006
Hi - I have an older computer I'm trying to upgrade, to use as a Windows/NAS machine. The motherboard is Asus P8Z68. It has 2 3 gb/s and 1 6 gb/s SATA ports. I have 3 6 gb/s drive, one is SSD which installed OS on, and the other two are 4TB HDD. Everything works fine when I boot with just the SSD. However, once I add either one or both HDDs , the SSD is not longer detected by the BIOS. I tried experimenting with some of the SATA settings in the BIOS but didn't seem to make a difference.

I realize I won't be getting 6 GB/s speeds, but my understanding is these should still work, right? I would like to avoid having to upgrade the motherboard, becasue then I need a new CPU, memory, etc. and am trying to do a budget build here.

Any ideas what could cause this behavior? My power is 500w BTW. I have no other hardware other than the two drives..I think 500 should be enough for this.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Solution
I have the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Try plugging your drives into different SATA ports. On that motherboard 6 SATA ports are controlled by the Z68 chipset and the 2 navy blue SATA ports are controlled by an add-on Marvell controller chip.

Intel® Z68 Express Chipset
  • 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
  • 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6.0 Gb/s controller
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)
I have the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Try plugging your drives into different SATA ports. On that motherboard 6 SATA ports are controlled by the Z68 chipset and the 2 navy blue SATA ports are controlled by an add-on Marvell controller chip.

Intel® Z68 Express Chipset
  • 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
  • 4 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)

Marvell® PCIe SATA 6.0 Gb/s controller
- 2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)

Solution