[SOLVED] SSD not showing as boot priority ?

GigataBG

Commendable
Aug 13, 2021
Today I installed a Samsung 870 500GB in my pc. After going to disk management and setting it up it shows as a drive, after that i cloned my (C) windows drive to my SSD went to the BIOS and it doesn't show as a boot priority (the ssd) even tho it has windows on it.?

PS.
My motherboard is ASUS H110M-CS
'''

Solution
Does your system even try to boot from your SSD or not? (Did you tried number 2?)

I don't use cloning software that often (almost never) so I can not say whats working this days.

Do you know if you are runing IDE or AHCI mode in BIOS, this had nothing to do with boot, but with how the SSD may work and perform?, With an SSD the system should be runingh AHCI, but you can not change it that easy if its not, cause it may make your system to not load windows.

Anyways if you don't answer the questions I made it gets hard to guide you.

The following steps are just a suggestion, a guide that only covers the major points of what I do when installing a new SSD, not saying you should do this at all. Its your choice to follow...

GigataBG

Commendable
Aug 13, 2021
Did you click on F7 to go Advanced Mode, and then to the Boot tab and look for the SSD there?

Remember the graphic interface you get in BIOS when you get in does not show all the available options.
Yes i did! It only shows the hard drive. The thing is i can boot from the ssd but i can't make it a primary boot

GigataBG

Commendable
Aug 13, 2021
So you went into BIOS, press F7 to go advanced mode, then go to "Boot" tab, then scroll down till you saw Hard drive BBS Priority sub-menu, press Enter to go inside, and you don't see the SSD in there either?
So i double checked and saw that in fact the SSD was an options so i set it and booted my system up and after checking on This PC it still isn't the windows drive, even tho i cloned my windows drive to it, it still doesn't count it as windows drive. Why is that? beocuse i thought that making it primary boot would change it the windows drive?

So i double checked and saw that in fact the SSD was an options so i set it and booted my system up and after checking on This PC it still isn't the windows drive, even tho i cloned my windows drive to it, it still doesn't count it as windows drive. Why is that? beocuse i thought that making it primary boot would change it the windows drive?

1. Perhaps something went wrong with the cloning?

2. If you unplug your old drive (power and sata cable), Does it boot fromt he SSD?

3. If number 2 works, and your system load in windows booting from the SSD, can you share some pictures (imgur) of the BOOT menu in BIOS to see how its all set in there?

GigataBG

Commendable
Aug 13, 2021
1. Perhaps something went wrong with the cloning?

2. If you unplug your old drive (power and sata cable), Does it boot fromt he SSD?

3. If number 2 works, and your system load in windows booting from the SSD, can you share some pictures (imgur) of the BOOT menu in BIOS to see how its all set in there?
Well perhaps it could be from the cloning! Is there a program you can recommend me becouse i used AOEMI for the Partition clone. Maybe i should try again?

Does your system even try to boot from your SSD or not? (Did you tried number 2?)

I don't use cloning software that often (almost never) so I can not say whats working this days.

Do you know if you are runing IDE or AHCI mode in BIOS, this had nothing to do with boot, but with how the SSD may work and perform?, With an SSD the system should be runingh AHCI, but you can not change it that easy if its not, cause it may make your system to not load windows.

Anyways if you don't answer the questions I made it gets hard to guide you.

The following steps are just a suggestion, a guide that only covers the major points of what I do when installing a new SSD, not saying you should do this at all. Its your choice to follow whatever procedure you prefer.

This is what I do when installing a brand new SSD (yours is not since you did clone your old drive on it) on my personal personal, familly and/or clients PC:

1. Backup all my important data on the old hard drive (yes, even if you are not going to format this drive is a good idea to make a backup, better safe than sorry). Also download all the latest drivers you may need.

2. Using your old drive open a browser and download the Windows download tool (from Microsoft site), make a usb sitck windows 10 installation media. Remove the USB drive. Turn off the PC.

3. Unplug the old hard drive, turn on the PC, go into the BIOS, set the boot priority for the SSD and make sure AHCI is the selected mode. Save and Exit. Since the SSD was brand new (not your case, since you clon your old drive) the PC shouldn't boot* and show and error message, at that point turn it off again, and now plug the usb drive with Windows and then turn it ON.

*If the PC does load Windows, then you are having issues with your boot priority in the BIOS. Thats the reason I asked you about #2 in my previous post.

4. In your case (Asus motherboard), as soon as you press the power button click F12 repeatedly till you see the override boot menu. In this menu pick the USB stick to start Windows installation.

5. If you wana avoid having to use a Microsoft account, unplug the network cable and don't connect to WiFi either. When installation is done then you can plug the network cable and/or connect to WiFi.

6. Install all your drivers (you can have them on another usb stick, or in the same as Windows installation if theres enough room) and set all you Windows preferences. Remove the usb stick.

7. Turn off the PC, plug you old hard drive, Turn On the PC and go into the BIOS, make sure the SSD it still the boot drive.

8. If everything is fine, leave BIOS and load windows.

Those are the major steps I use to install a brand new SSD in a used system. Note that the old drive will keep the Windows installation, so if anything goes wrong, or the SSD is not working properly you can always unplug it and take it out of the case, go into BIOS set the right mode (IDE or AHCI, whatever it was), set the old hard drive in bios at first boot drive and use your "old" Windows install.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution