[SOLVED] SSD Not showing in BIOS / BIOS Freezes when I try to update it, right when I hit confirm

Dec 1, 2018
Ok so I bought a new Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and I wanted to clone my OS and all my files over so I did that with Macrium Reflect and it all seemed like I was doing it right following the guides but then I got to the part where I go into my BIOS and change the boot drive but of course with my luck the SSD wasn't there. The SSD showed up fine in windows and all the files were there but it would not show in the BIOS. I spent over 8 hours searching up the issue and nothing I have found has helped. One thing I saw is that updating your BIOS might fix it so I tried that but every time I try to update it the second I hit confirm on the flash it freezes and doesn't update. I am still able to turn the PC of manually and nothing is broken but I am completely lost at this point and have no clue what to do. Any help is appreciated, specs are below

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Extreme4
BIOS Version/Date - American Megatrends Inc. P1.30, 5/23/2014
SMBIOS Version - 2.8
Graphics
GN246HL (1920x1080@144Hz)
VE198 (1440x900@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB (Unknown (SSD))
465GB Western Digital WDC WD5001AALS-00E3A0 (SATA )
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Solution
Well just a thought here but did the bios fail to update without the SSD iin the M2 socket ? If the board firmware does not update normally that is a major issue. I would contact tech support. That in itself sounds RMA-like to me.

And the lack of a new bios may indirectly occasion the lack of support for the 970. Note here that the the M.2 Socket on that board can accommodate a PCIe module "up to " Gen 2 x2 whereas that 970 is set up for a PCIe 3 x 4 connection. Is this 970 backwards compatible as they say ? Also, the phrase " up to " suggests the board did not go out the door supporting a 3x4 drive but perhaps a bios update has improved that ? Only you cannot update.

So ask tech support about that too.

Well just a thought here but did the bios fail to update without the SSD iin the M2 socket ? If the board firmware does not update normally that is a major issue. I would contact tech support. That in itself sounds RMA-like to me.

And the lack of a new bios may indirectly occasion the lack of support for the 970. Note here that the the M.2 Socket on that board can accommodate a PCIe module "up to " Gen 2 x2 whereas that 970 is set up for a PCIe 3 x 4 connection. Is this 970 backwards compatible as they say ? Also, the phrase " up to " suggests the board did not go out the door supporting a 3x4 drive but perhaps a bios update has improved that ? Only you cannot update.

So ask tech support about that too.

Solution
Dec 1, 2018

First I want to thank you for the reply any help is appreciated. I just tried to do the update with out the SSD in and I still got the same freeze so im not sure what it is. I submitted a ticket to ASRock describing the issue so hopefully they get back to me. And a question about what you were saying about the SSD with my board, am I gonna be able to use it to its fullest potential or not, if not what would be the best SSD for my system.

The board is limited to the previous generation of M.2 devices. Even if the drive were compatible it would not run at full speed and money would be wasted. The sata ports are modern so any reliable brand SATA3 6.0 Gb/s drive will do fine. A samsung 860 is a good drive, but there are others.

Dec 1, 2018

Ok good to know, you think I should just wipe this thing and return it and get a better one for my system like the 860. Is the 860 the fastest one that is compatible with my system or is there any better options

Dec 1, 2018

Thanks for your help I just packed up the 970 and its on its way back. But I have one more question, do you think I should get the M.2 860 or the SATA 860. Is there any difference, reliability, ease of use, performance, etc.