SSD not showing in bios/windows - Unknown device - device not migrated

Jul 28, 2018
So my SSD crashed while i tried to access some file/folder on it. It was the one with the OS on it. after that it didn t recognize it at all, only as i told in the title.
Event message:
Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_&Prod_\5&399a7c98&0&010000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_WDC&Prod_WDS120G1G0A-00SS\5&399a7c98&0&010000
Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F020
Present: false

Solution

Is not that difficult but it won't bring a dead drive back to life.

You could create a Ubuntu live distribution on a USB Flash drive. The full OS runs on the RAM without the need of installing it and without making changes to your current system.
Steps to create a Ubuntu bootable USB drive.
Download Ubuntu
After you have created the bootable USB flash drive, insert it into the PC with the SSD.
During boot you will have the option to Try Ubuntu, select it.
When you are in the Ubuntu desktop, click the Ubuntu icon (Dash) and type Disks utility and...
While you are in Windows are you getting any other error messages?
Download the manufacturer's diagnostics tool for your SSD and run a tests, and see if the drive is OK.
If the drive is ok, try a different SATA port or a different SATA cable.

Jul 28, 2018
Its a chinese ssd... I already removed it from the laptop and connected it to my pc. Ease us data recovery software doesn t even recognize it. I see it in disk manager but unknown device in the disk drives. Not seen in bios.

It looks like you got a cheap knock-off drive and it may have died

Jul 28, 2018

is there any chance i can format it via a usb linux? i read smth on some threads about this but it seemed kind of complicated and i don t have much experience with linux.

Is not that difficult but it won't bring a dead drive back to life.

You could create a Ubuntu live distribution on a USB Flash drive. The full OS runs on the RAM without the need of installing it and without making changes to your current system.
Steps to create a Ubuntu bootable USB drive.
Download Ubuntu
After you have created the bootable USB flash drive, insert it into the PC with the SSD.
During boot you will have the option to Try Ubuntu, select it.
When you are in the Ubuntu desktop, click the Ubuntu icon (Dash) and type Disks utility and open it to format or repair the SSD.
You could also use GParted to format and repair the SSD.
Everything on the partition will be deleted when you format the drive

Solution