[SOLVED] SSD not showing on boot priority, but in storage section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2020
Hi I just built a new pc and am going to install windows tomorrow, but while I was going threw bios I looked at the boot priority section my HDD appeared, but not my SSD.
Can anyone pls help ?

Motherboard:

Msi b450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Solution
You keep the HDD unplugged. You plug it back after Windows was installed.

This was the answer given to you that you should follow.

• Unplug HDD
  • Install Windows
  • Plug the HDD and make sure the boot priority is still the SSD
  • Done
If you keep the HDD plugged in Windows could possibly install itself on the SSD BUT it could put some system files on the HDD too. That's why people are suggesting you only leave the SSD plugged in so that only this drive has Windows related files.
Mar 3, 2020
I’ve heard of unplugging the HDD and only leaving the ssd connected, does this work ? And do I really only have to plug the HDD back in and it will work again without problems

I’ve heard of unplugging the HDD and only leaving the ssd connected, does this work ? And do I really only have to plug the HDD back in and it will work again without problems
A disk that shows up as storage but not on the boot priority means that this disk lacks the boot files GPT/UEFI.
Leaving only this disk in the system will make sure that windows will install those files on this one disk,otherwise windows will install those files on whatever disk is setup as the first disk under boot priority.
Since boot priority might change depending on available disks it's not sure that after putting back any other disks it will still boot up from the new disk

Mar 3, 2020
Ok so basically just disconnect the HDD and set the SSD as the boot priority after installing windows. Don’t have to disconnect the HDD while installing windows too, or just when I want to change the boot priority

Mar 3, 2020
I plugged out the HDD and started the pc, the HDD disappeared from the boot priorities and the SSD appeared. Then I shut it down and plugged the HDD back in. The SSD was still on the boot priorities, but not the HDD. Does this mean that while installing windows I do not have to unplug the HDD?

You keep the HDD unplugged. You plug it back after Windows was installed.

This was the answer given to you that you should follow.

• Unplug HDD
  • Install Windows
  • Plug the HDD and make sure the boot priority is still the SSD
  • Done
If you keep the HDD plugged in Windows could possibly install itself on the SSD BUT it could put some system files on the HDD too. That's why people are suggesting you only leave the SSD plugged in so that only this drive has Windows related files.

Reactions: lil_allie
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.