Question SSD not showing up in bios

Jan 18, 2020
Hi everyone,

I've searched the forum and google, this seems like a common issue but none of the solutions I've found in other threads seem to be working.

I have installed a 240GB SSD in the optical drive space using a hard drive caddy (and recently discovered it is connected via ATAPI rather than SATA).

I used Atrium Reflect 7 (free) to clone all partitions of my HDD to the SSD, except the large D (Data) section. I will keep the HDD in my laptop to store data, and keep the SSD in the optical drive slot to use as a boot drive. I've run speed checks using crystaldiskmark, which show read/write speeds of around 90mbps on the old HDD, and into the 500s for the SSD. The SSD is also showing in disk management, file explorer, and device manager (which says it is 'working properly'. Cloning all of the partitions on the HDD only used up around 120GB of space, so there is still plenty of space free on the SSD. Everything seems to be in order...

However, when I open up the BIOS to change the boot order, there is no sign of the SSD. The HDD shows up, but all of the other slots are showing as empty. I tried booting in legacy mode, but that didn't recognise anything either.

I've tried updating drivers for the SSD, and it appears I'm up to date. Tried updating the BIOS driver through the Acer website, and it appears that the version of BIOS I have is newer than the driver they have on their website (?) There was also a warning message on there about how improperly updating your BIOS can damage your computer, so that scared me away...

What am I missing? I didn't manually format the SSD before cloning windows - could that be the problem? The cloning process took close to 2 hours (I assume because of the slow HDD) so I'd rather keep formatting and starting the process again as a last resort!

I also read on one forum that one possible fix would be to remove the HDD entirely so the SSD is the only drive left in the computer, but I'd rather not do that because it would mean removing the entire back panel (Acer aspire E14) and fiddling around with some things I don't feel ready to tinker with...

Any advice?

Thanks!

EDIT: I had a look at the properties in device manager, and under events it says 'Device not migrated due to a partial or ambiguous match' - Could that be the problem? If so, what do I do about it?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020
Make sure your ssd has the same partitions as old drive.
Swap locations and try. SSD and HDD, no need to change boot order

Thanks for your reply. All partitions were successfully copied (except D).

I swapped the hard drives round and bios showed the ssd but not the hdd. When I booted, it took a bit longer than usual then booted from the hdd! Even when I changed boot order to make sure the ssd was at the top, above windows boot manager and definitely above the hdd.

When I removed the caddy (with the hdd in it) and left only the ssd, it booted absolutely perfectly. But whenever I try with both the ssd and the hdd, even with the correct boot order, it still bypasses the ssd and boots from hdd