Question SSD not showing up.

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
I've installed my friend's M.2 ssd in my PC and it doesn't show up in the BIOS or disk management.

It also makes my PC take a long time to start up, even getting into the BIOS is a pain. And it's not even starting up from that SSD, it's starting up from another SSD. It usually takes around 10 seconds with MY own M.2 ssd.

It was working perfectly until I tried to install Windows, as that's what my friend wanted me to do. But the message "we couldn't create a partition or find an existing one" showed up. And that's when I restarted and the problem started occuring. Any solutions?

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Need a description of all the parts involved here. Make/model/size.

And what do you refer to with: "I tried to install Windows, as that's what my friend wanted me to do "
What exactly were you wanting to do there?

Parts: Intel Core i3-7100, A single stick of 8GB Samsung memory, an HP Lubin motherboard, a Samsung RBX series SSD, a Silicon Power A60 1TB SSD (the one I'm having problems with), and a 450 Watt Insignia power supply (I'm pretty confident that there's no problem with the power supply as my own M.2 ssd works perfectly in the same slot.)

Also I was trying to install Windows to the SSD using a USB drive that has the Windows installation on it for my friend as he does not have a motherboard yet, and he wants me to install all of the games and applications he's gonna use so it'll be ready when he finishes his PC.

USAFRet

Titan
Also I was trying to install Windows to the SSD using a USB drive that has the Windows installation on it for my friend as he does not have a motherboard yet, and he wants me to install all of the games and applications he's gonna use so it'll be ready when he finishes his PC.
That will not work.
The OS needs to be installed on the drive, while it lives in the system where it will be installed.

You can't install in your system, then move it to his new system and expect it to work.

That almost never works.

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
That will not work.
The OS needs to be installed on the drive, while it lives in the system where it will be installed.

You can't install in your system, then move it to his new system and expect it to work.

That almost never works.

Oh, well I've done it before with my own computers and the only thing I've had to do was to install new drivers.

Anyway, I wanna find out why the SSD is not showing up in my system at all, and why it's making it super slow at starting up, even though it's not the drive being boot off of.

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Without actual ID of all the parts, no one can say.

Samsung RBX appears to be an ancient drive?
Need specifics.
Sorry I didn't see the previous reply you did.

Yes the Samsung SSD is ancient, it was used in my laptop and when it broke I put it in my desktop for sort of a backup installation of Windows, looks like it may come into use now.

The Silicone Power SSD is my friend's SSD and it's the one I'm having problems with. Neither of them seem to have a model number on them and I can't find one on the box where my friend's SSD came in.

The sticker on my friend's SSD says "Model: A60" that's the only thing I could find.

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
OK. Now on to the motherboard.

Your existing Samsung RBX is a SATA drive.
Are you 100% sure the M.2 port on that motherboard is compatible with an NVMe drive?

Being M.2 is not the determining factor.
Yes. The main drive of the system is not the Samsung RBX drive, it's another NVME drive also made by Samsung which has Windows on it. That's why I said that the RBX drive serves as a backup in case anything goes wrong with that one.

Also I forgot to mention that my friend's drive was working perfectly fine until trying to install Windows on it. I used the Windows on the Samsung RBX drive to initialize it and create a partition on it, as I couldn't use my own M.2 drive because I don't have multiple slots of the same type on my motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
Bottom line - There is too much going on in there. Too many moving parts.

But, since this drive is going into a whole different PC, abandon that concept. Your friend will just have to wait until he gets his system built up, and then do the install.

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
Bottom line - There is too much going on in there. Too many moving parts.

But, since this drive is going into a whole different PC, abandon that concept. Your friend will just have to wait until he gets his system built up, and then do the install.
What has me worried is that the drive might be dead. Even if I remove all other drives and leave my friend's drive in there it gets stuck on the boot logo for a while, and then it goes to the screen saying it couldn't find an operating system.

USAFRet

Titan
What has me worried is that the drive might be dead. Even if I remove all other drives and leave my friend's drive in there it gets stuck on the boot logo for a while, and then it goes to the screen saying it couldn't find an operating system.
That is to be expected, because there is no operating system on that drive. Or any drive.
There is nothing to boot from.

The system is taking a long time, because it is looking for something.

Just leave it until his system is put together.

RearMisser

Prominent
May 16, 2020
That is to be expected, because there is no operating system on that drive. Or any drive.
There is nothing to boot from.

The system is taking a long time, because it is looking for something.

Just leave it until his system is put together.
Also if I boot it off the RBX SSD it doesn't show up in disk management or in device manager unlike before where I could even see it in file explorer. So I'm not sure if my friend will be able to install Windows