Question SSD Numbering

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Currently, the M.2 -- SATA ssd is labeled as Disk 1, while additional 2.5 inch -- SATA ssd is labeled as Disk 0, how can I swap those positions ? M.2 is the Windows drive, the 2.5 is for storage only. Computer is a ASUS PRIME Z390 - P.

Last edited:
What might be the choices?

Swap ports?

Make an image of whatever is on one drive and restore it to the other (swap contents)?

I think I ran into an instance maybe 5 years ago, where port swapping did no good....a given SSD remained as drive 1 regardless of my attempts to make it drive 0.

Windows assigns those drive numbers at random and then keeps them.
For example - I have multiple windows versions installed on the same pc with multiple drives connected.
In one windows installation drive has a different drive number than in other windows installation.
Drive is the same and sata port same too.

Moving drive to a different sata port doesn't guarantee drive number change.

USAFRet

Titan
Windows assigns those drive numbers at random and then keeps them.
For example - I have multiple windows versions installed on the same pc with multiple drives connected.
In one windows installation drive has a different drive number than in other windows installation.
Drive is the same and sata port same too.

Moving drive to a different sata port doesn't guarantee drive number change.
Interesting.
I always thought it was just based on the physical ports on the motherboard.

Currently, the M.2 -- SATA ssd is labeled as Disk 1, while additional 2.5 inch -- SATA ssd is labeled as Disk 0, how can I swap those positions ? M.2 is the Windows drive, the 2.5 is for storage only. Computer is a ASUS PRIME Z390 - P.
I found this article:
https://superuser.com/questions/668...ring-enumeration-in-windows-7-disk-management
While it is speaking of Windows 7 in particular I have to imagine W10 and W11 behave similar.

My key take-aways from it are:
The numbering of disks in the system is a result of hardware enumeration during the boot process.
It does not necessarily follow a SATA port sequence, although it may change if drives are moved to a different port.
There is no control excercised by the OS over the numbering sequence and it can even change from one boot-up to another.
There are no standards or definitions that describe disk numbering or mapping requirements and any software or process that needs a stable disk number mapping is considered "bugged" by definition.

Mostly, it's servers with large disk arrays that might see wholesale numbering changes as hardware configuration is likely to change more frequently. I think disk number changes aren't likely to be encountered by home users with small disk installations, hence a misconception there should be an enduring number mapping.

Last edited:

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I found this article:
https://superuser.com/questions/668...ring-enumeration-in-windows-7-disk-management
While it is speaking of Windows 7 in particular I have to imagine W10 and W11 behave similar.

My key take-aways from it are:
The numbering of disks in the system is a result of hardware enumeration during the boot process.
It does not necessarily follow a SATA port sequence, although it may change if drives are moved to a different port.
There is no control excercised by the OS over the numbering sequence and it can even change from one boot-up to another.
There are no standards or definitions that describe disk numbering or mapping requirements and any software or process that needs a stable disk number mapping is considered "bugged" by definition.

Mostly, it's servers with large disk arrays that might see wholesale numbering changes as hardware configuration is likely to change more frequently. I think disk number changes aren't likely to be encountered by home users with small disk installations, hence a misconception there should be an enduring number mapping.
AHHH i see. I appreciate your help. So numbering is random. But even during boot process, the M.2 is first. The 2.5 is just another drive, no OS in it !!!