Question SSD NVMe as first boot option

Sep 25, 2020
Hello guys!
Can someone give me some help?
I have a laptop Ideapad 330s. It has two SSD's: a SATA 3 240 GB (that was put in place of the original HD) and a M.2 NVMe 240 GB (that was put in place of the original Optane memory).
The Windows 10 is on NVMe and everything works perfectly, that is, apparently the system boots from the NVMe.

I decided to remove the SSD SATA 3 to put it in another laptop. This SSD had only some files and I even formatted it before taking it out.
Now, when I turn the Ideapad on, a message of "no bootable device" appears ! If I put the SATA 3 back, the system boots.

I entered Bios (InsideH2O... what is that?!) with the two SSD's installed and also entered only with NVMe to compare.
With both SSD's, I have in Bios, at Boot section: as "windows boot manager" the SATA 3; under the title EFI appears only the SATA 3; under the title Legacy appear both disks.
With only the NVMe installed, there is no "windows boot manager"; nothing appears under the title EFI title and the NVMe appears under the title Legacy.

I think the NVMe would have to assume EFI status and have to be the only option as "windows boot manager", but I can't change anything in Bios.
In Windows I tried to change the boot manager, but without results.

Sep 25, 2020
You can check in Disk Manager as to which drives are bootable.
You usually only need a Boot Manager if you have more than one OS.
Old laptops might've had Windows 7 on them.

In Disk Manager, the SATA 3 disk has a section of 100 MB called EFI System Partition, which is not present in the NVMe disk. SATA 3 has also a Recovery partition.

Otherwise, the NVMe disk has an indication of Boot, which is not present in SATA 3.

Both are Primary.

TRENDING THREADS