[SOLVED] SSD NVMe drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have an Acer C720-2802 and wanted to install a larger SSD drive. What spec do I need and is there a size limitation for the hardware? Thinking of using with Chrome, a dual boot with Linux or all Linux.

Let me know your thoughts.

Solution
Opening up any prebuilt OEM unit is always a little iffy but it seems doable.

I like the looks of this drive for a replacement. It's a brand at least if not a premium brand.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KG2G152/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1

It had this in a review - " Replaced my 16GB Kingston SSD with this one in my Acer C720P Chromebook. I also replaced ChromeOS with GalliumOS and really like it so far. Speed is great. Boot up time is about the same "

Same day shipping and free returns - Amazon really knows how to push the product.

My guess is that if you get the right form factor (42mm) and interface (SATA) that you can get as big a drive as you want (512GB or 2 TB). [Emphasize Guess - That's why free...

USAFRet

Titan

That has a 16GB "drive in it.
Almost certainly an eMMC, soldered to the motherboard.

Highly doubtful there is any possibility of changing it, or installing something else.

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

Highly doubtful there is any possibility of changing it, or installing something else.

I’d read the attached and thought maybe it’s possible.
https://www.androidcentral.com/how-upgrade-ssd-your-acer-c720-chromebook

what do you think?

USAFRet

Titan
Reactions: mmitsch

Co BIY

Splendid

I like the looks of this drive for a replacement. It's a brand at least if not a premium brand.

It had this in a review - " Replaced my 16GB Kingston SSD with this one in my Acer C720P Chromebook. I also replaced ChromeOS with GalliumOS and really like it so far. Speed is great. Boot up time is about the same "

Same day shipping and free returns - Amazon really knows how to push the product.

My guess is that if you get the right form factor (42mm) and interface (SATA) that you can get as big a drive as you want (512GB or 2 TB). [Emphasize Guess - That's why free returns is a good idea. ]

Reactions: mmitsch
Solution

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010

My guess is that if you get the right form factor (42mm) and interface (SATA) that you can get as big a drive as you want (512GB or 2 TB). [Emphasize Guess - That's why free returns is a good idea. ]

Thank you very much for getting back to me. In fact I had GalliumOS installed on the Chromebook and it's very cool! Even found the support good. I was running it in a dual boot with Chrome OS and that got me wanting more space.
I've seen people on YouTube do the 128gb, and that may be enough, but don't want to do this again for a long time. Figured I might get 256gb.

And I agree about Amazon's ability to push (and also having the ability to return). I'm a Prime member too -- so I guess I should use what they charge me for. :D

May 3, 2022

While this is in general the correct assumption when it comes to storage expansion possibilities for the majority of ChromeOS devices this assumption is actually incorrect when it comes to the Acer C720-2802 Chromebook. This was one of the earlier models of Chromebooks which at the time often did infact allow for physical storage devices to be swapped out and upgraded. The memory and most other components are indeed soldered to the motherboard but the 16 GB OEM SSD is not and is indeed upgradable.

8mQ5KLK.jpg

Last edited:

mmitsch

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
While this is in general the correct assumption when it comes to storage expansion possibilities for the majority of ChromeOS devices this assumption is actually incorrect when it comes to the Acer C720-2802 Chromebook. This was one of the earlier models of Chromebooks which at the time often did infact allow for physical storage devices to be swapped out and upgraded. The memory and most other components are indeed soldered to the motherboard but the 16 GB OEM SSD is not and is indeed upgradable.

8mQ5KLK.jpg
Thank you very much!!!

Do you have a good recommendation for an upgrade drive (card)? Maybe 128gb?

May 3, 2022
Thank you very much!!!

Do you have a good recommendation for an upgrade drive (card)? Maybe 128gb?

Honestly as long as you make sure it's an "42mm M.2 / NGFF / SATA III" SSD I think any should work. I personally had good luck with the KingSpec brand of drives. Here is the 128 GB model. I had the 256 GB model and it worked nicely (until I decided to try to watch a movie on it one evening while taking a bubble bath and dropped it into the bathtub lol... the drive still worked fine! but the Chromebook would no longer power on, only blink blue lights). You can see they make up to 2 TB in size models and it does say there in the specifications that it is compatible with the C720.

Another brand that seems to be highly recommend is MyDigitalSSD, but a 128 GB is no longer available for sale on Amazon, though they do have a 256 GB model still available.

I also think you would be fine if you went with Kingston, especially since that's what kind of drive came with the Chromebook.

I also recommend Crucial as a solid brand for SSDs.

One important thing to note though... that model of Chromebook is now unfortunately super super old and has not been supported by Google for a long time now so you are not able to get any updates and before too long it will probably stop being compatible with the modern internet. If you don't mind trying a different operating system though you could easily install Linux on your C720 and use it for many more years to come. Sadly, none of the current modern Chromebooks allow for storage upgrades... everything is soldered in place these days :-/

Lastly, here is an article that has very good instructions on how to update the SSD in your C720 if you need any help.

Good luck! And don't take a bubble bath with your Chromebook like I did, lol.

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Think more on what you are going to put on it, how many operating systems etc. ... figure out how much space you want to assign to each. That will help you decide how large a capacity SSD you want.

Otherwise I think just get the largest capacity SATA NGFF 42mm SSD that you can afford, without getting ridiculous.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

Reactions: richaardvark
Status
Not open for further replies.