[SOLVED] SSD occasionally "disappears" and I need help diagnosing what the problem is.

rsessums

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
My system works well 99.9% of the time, but sometimes when I shut down and restart it system does not see the boot SSD. My workaround is to restart it a few times until the motherboard "sees" the drive and boots. Aggravating to say the least.

The ASUS motherboard SEEMS to be fine. I've had no other errors with it and the ASUS software works fine.
The Samsung SSD itself SEEMS to be fine. I've run diagnostics on it and never get any error findings.
The power SEEMS to be good and steady but I have not done any serious diagnosing of it (I wouldn't know how to)
The data cable is nice and snug.

Right now I am trying to just not turn the computer off but because of lightning I get occasional power outages and I like to turn it off when I go out of town.

I am ALMOST at the point of buying/building a new computer because of my frustration with this but I really don't want to spend the money or time and effort to migrate to a new computer.

Any suggestions on what else I can do?

Solution
a few things to try, if you have not already.
try moving the SSD to another SATA port, if that follows to this port swap out the SATA cable for a new one.