Be very very careful on ebay. Double check the Model Number, MPN, and UPC codes in Google so that you know exactly what you are bidding on. Sometimes it is not what you think.

Some of the ssd's are old models. For example, a lot of the Imation ssd's were so old that they did not support Windows TRIM and did not have SSD Garbage Collection . This information is verified in technical reviews.

Almost all of the Samsung ssd's are not the 470 model. The vast majority of them are OEM versions that Samsung made for Dell and a few were made for Lenovo. They have different firmware than the 470. In addition the warranty is not from Samsung. The warranty is from Dell or Lenovo. Dell and Lenovo normally won't honor the warranty if the ebay seller is not an authorized reseller. I've checked all of this in detail.

Bidding for items gets kind of crazy. It can turn into a frenzy. Within the past few days I've seen winning bids exceed the newegg prices.

ram1009

Distinguished
Well, there doesn't seem to be much activity on this topic. I've decided against buying on ebay because the sellers mostly refuse returns and there are just too many DOAs & premature failures even amongst the best SSDs to risk having to eat one.

I noticed that too. That kind of surprised me. I'm guessing the ones that don't are not authorized resellers.

The other thing I've noticed is an ssd will be listed as new but in the seller's description will say something like "used only a few days" or something similar.

ram1009

Distinguished

Yes, well as you pointed out precautions are always in order on ebay.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I've considered buying SSD's on ebay, because I have a really tight budget.

I've followed SSD developments and I've noticed that lots of brands have really bad feedback on newegg.com. I would be scared to buy one of these new from a good retailer with a good return policy, much less buying an old used one from a random person on ebay. I decided that Intel and possibly Crucial had some models with good track records and if I was going to buy on ebay I would limit my search to one of these. Following auctions for awhile I found some sellers that semed reasonable with their return policy and had good feedback, but the final selling prices weren't all that good compared to the best retail prices I could find so I have held off. For my first upgrade I was interested in an 80GB Intel. I've since decided that I could make do with a 64GB and I've found that I can buy a new Crucial from newegg for significantly less than what the used 80GB Intels sell for on ebay. I've been doing ebay for a long time and although you can get some good savings on ebay, sometimes you are better off to just buy new.

ram1009

Distinguished

Agreed 100%. I wouldn't buy a used SSD from my mother.

The real problem with buying a SSD from Ebay is that you really have no idea as to the amount of wear on the drive. While you find someone who just installed the OS on it, you also might find someone who has tried to run the CCleaner on the NSA wipe on the drive creating some extreme wear on the drive. I think in this case you are better off buying new from a company like newegg.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

I agree, especially since newegg and other online retailers often have sales with prices lower than the winning auction bids at ebay.

There's also the issue of warranties. The vast majority of ebay resellers are not authorized resellers so there is no warranty.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

Not true if you live in the UK unfortunately :(

NewEgg don't ship over here & I fear eBay will be my only option unless I just sit tight for 6 months or so!! :cry: