[SOLVED] SSD on m.2_1 not showing up on Asus ROG strix Z790-E ?

Mar 25, 2023
So I transferred over two M.2 SSDs over to my new build. I have my OS on a 240GB and a 2TB game drive. I had it the exact same setup for years on my MSI board, but the Asus board will not recognize my game drive.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2023
On my initial start up it popped up and told me to set up raid, that if I didn't want to that I could continue. I continued, but my drive didn't show up in windows. So I went back into bios and haven't been able to find my second drive.

Mar 25, 2023
Ok, so I've been reading and found out few things that I was wrong about previously. Both my drives are not sata, and the only slot that supports sata is m.2_5. My os drive I accidentally put it m.2_3 , not m.2_2 so the os is on chipset by accident but that does mean that it's the cpu m.2_1 slot that's not recognized. I've updated bios, reset the drive. I'm taking a break but I'll I'll fresh install windows

Mar 25, 2023
I went back, had been years since I bought the drives. They were both nvme but, under details the 240 was interface ssd and connectivity sata, but is recognized in m.2_3 which can't be SATA because only m.2_5 reads sata. The 2tb interface nvme and connectivity sata, but the box stated pcie, I don't get it, but that could be the reason I hope. The way I did my build don't have easy access to switch over. I bought a newer drive that details state, interface nvme connectivity pcie, hopefully that will work. I did a drive wipe reinstall of windows still nothing, also had already updated all drivers,

Mar 25, 2023
See that's what I thought, the description on Amazon is wrong. I'm usually good about my research before purchasing. So then that begs the question why is my cpu m.2_1 not recognizing, I'm still hoping it's that drive, tomorrow I'll switch them and see. If the new drive doesn't work am lost, I have a lot of time in this build would suck if cpu or board is bad. How would I be able to know?

Mar 25, 2023
So the drive came in and switched them , problem solved, immediately showed up in bios. Don't know how but other must have had damaged during swap over. Appreciate the people that took the time to read and respond.

TRENDING THREADS