SSD on pcie controller

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hello All,

I have a Sata II(2) SSD but I need to get a PCIe sata controller to use it.

Essentially what I ask is, would it be better to run the SSD through the Sata III (3) controller on the pcie, or move the cd drive / hdd drive to the sata III (3) controller and run the SSD through the native Sata II(2) on the motherboard.

Break down of what I have

Motherboard - G41 chipset socket 775
SSD - 128gb Ocz Octane (Sata II version)
and
Controller - 2 Port Lycom PE-115 SATA III

Any recommendations for the best configuration for the SSD. (as for the choice of the SSD, I went for cheaps that have enough throughput for OS/ small office apps)

As a side note, I have read that pcie controllers are generally 'rubbish' but I see the revodrive runs through a pcie slot and is super duper, doesn't make sense to me. :eek:

Since the SSD has an SATA II interface, there is no difference in the speed you will get if you run it through an SATA II controller or an SATA III controller.

Why do you need to get a controller to run it? Are you out of ports on your motherboard? If there are at least two SATA ports on the MOBO, put the boot SSD and the cd drive, so you can boot from the cd drive. Put any other storage on the PCI-e controller card.

If your mobo has only one SATA port, it's probably older than my dog and should be replaced.

I don't understand your comment about the revodrive. The revodrive has its own onboard controller, and costs two arms and a leg. An SATA controller is usually bought off Newegg and thrown together with the cheapest parts that the manufacturer can scrape up. Naturally they are different. It has nothing to do with the fact that they both connect to PCI-e.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Was just reading around that the pcie x1 bandwidth was pretty tame and limiting, which seemed counter intuitive to a revodrive.

Also, just FYI, I have a 4870x2 obscuring most of my sataports (total of 6), and I can only reasonably get in two 90 degree sata cables, meaning HDD+DVD+SSD won't go.

A poorly planned motherboard, but it's temporary solution since the previous died in a blaze of glory.

I am one of the veteran posters that cautions members about using inexpensive, low budget controller cards. The inexpensive cards generally use older controllers and only operate on 1 PCI-e channel. SSD's normally require a minimum of 4 PCI-e channels to optimal performance. You would need a controller rated at PCI-e 2.0 x4, x8, or x16. There are excellent controller cards but they are expensive.

The OCZ RevoDrives you mentioned are PCI-e x4 based ssd's which means they use 4 channels while the inexpensive budget cards only use 1 channel. That is one of several reasons why the RevoDrive's performance is better than a low budget controller card.

Your motherboard is an older model with an Intel North Bridge G41 chipset and an Intel Southbridge ICH7 chipset. Typically the G41 motherboards came with either 2 or 4 SATA 2 3Gb/s ports.

Am I correct in assuming you probably have a motherboard with only 2 SATA 2 3Gb/s ports? That would certainly hinder any storage expansion and explain why you are asking about controller cards.

Realistically your best bet would be to upgrade the motherboard to something more modern. If cost is a concern there are some socket 775 motherboards for about $50 to %60.00 with 4 or more SATA 2 3Gb's ports. It is a compromise but it will allow you to use your current cpu, heatsink, and memory.

For typical everyday use you will not notice any difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 drives.

EDIT - Just saw your post. Now I understand. The video cards are in the way. You must have submitted while I was typing.