SSD or 7200rpm HDD

shayparker

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
I currently have a seagate 250gb 7200rpm HDD but it's playing up is it worth buying a SSD and keeping my current HDD for files and data? What would I need I have have a desktop PC Core i3 2.93ghz - asrock h55m-ge r2.0 mobo - 4GB ddr3 ? I am not looking to spend a fortune as it is a budget PC and it dont really matter how much memory it has as its just for windows and some adobe and light gaming (cod4).

What would you recommend?

Mfusick

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
if it is worth it is a subjective question relative to your feelings only...

No one can tell you if it is worth it or not. the $$ factor has a different value to all of us.. and some have more or less of it...

As far as "worth it" in terms of performance... YES. You would notice an increase in performance... no doubt about that.

You have to decide if it is worth it for you

arges86

Distinguished
I was honestly blown away by the performance of the new SSDs. I love the one i have and regret not buying one earlier.
Even things like loading windows, its sooo much faster
i highly recommended it just as it saves time w/ everything. Firefox loads faster, Photoshop, games, ect.
You can prob. find an 80 GB one in your range, and put your My Documents, ect. on the HDD

An SSD will make booting your system and starting programs up dramatically faster - but once programs are up and running there won't be any performance improvement. So you have to decide if that specific type of performance improvement is worth the cost to you.

I will say this - precious few people who try an SSD ever want to give it up.

^ Concur
Also, if Your HDD is playing up, and you do get a SSD are you sure you want to trust this drive with your files/data. Boils down to getting a SSD and a HDD, or getting 1 or two HDDs. Myself I like two HDDs as opposed to a single larger HDD, but thats me.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

I see that your MOBO will only support SATA II or 3Gb/s SSD.
I would get the OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G or G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-90GB

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE90G and G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series FM-25S2S-90GB
both use SF drivers