SSD or HDD at first

lidge1337

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I'll be building a base gaming and casual use pc in the future.
I'll be getting the cpu, motherboard, ram, PSU, cheap case, hdd and ssd.
So, my question is, should i save up and get both or get an ssd first or an hdd first?
I'd rather install my OS on the ssd but it's about 3 times more expensive then the hdd.
I'd get a WD10EZEX and a Samsung 840 250GB.
Later i'd get the gpu, better case, display, quality peripherals, speakers and so on....
Also, can i transfer my OS from HDD to ssd?

Solution
Personally, I would get the SSD first and avoid the hassle of having to clone the OS from the HDD and it is recommended that you do a clean install of the OS instead of cloning it. It would be much easier to add the HDD for storage later.
Personally, I would get the SSD first and avoid the hassle of having to clone the OS from the HDD and it is recommended that you do a clean install of the OS instead of cloning it. It would be much easier to add the HDD for storage later.

Solution

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
SSD first HDD later, but the 250 GB is a good choice! You then only need to swap images and videos maybe music, which is much less hassle then cloning System, trouble with alignment and boot issues.
Just check usage of 6 Gb/s port and AHCI, please use internal controller coming from AMD/Intel.

lidge1337

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

but i want a 250 GB ssd so i can put all my installations on it, understand?

I have a 128GB SSD, and with my OS and programs that would benefit from the speed on it I have about 40GB free on it. You might be different and require more space, but I personally see no need for an SSD larger than 128GB if its just going to be a boot+programs drive.

lidge1337

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

how about this...games games games :)
i just wanna be safe if i need more ssd space in the future

Then get the larger drive if you want to put games on it, but you wont see any performance difference outside of load times (though for a game like Skyrim or Fallout, thats pretty big). My suggestion is to just go with the 128GB, which frees up the money for a 1TB HDD, solving your initial problem.

lidge1337

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

well, i'd like to get both if i can
but 128 just seems small to me
i'm using 108 GB with about 10 small old games on my current system and i have 200 GB partition for os, games and programs so, do you think i should really get the 128 GB one?

TRENDING THREADS