Question SSD Or HDD?

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering, whether you could please help me? I have found out that an Xbox Series X, doesn't require a game capture card to record footage, you can now capture footage by plugging an external hard drive or SSD, into the back. I was wondering which is the best choice for recording 4K footage for myself, not YouTube purpose? HDD or SSD? And what's a good size? So I used to have a NAS system with 3TB! But isn't that expensive for SSD?

Thank you!

Nov 21, 2022
Hi im steve need advice on SSD ive got aHDD want to change to SSD shall i used y old drive too or just have SSD and does Pcs have necessary cables for SSD connection if anyone can give me guidance sounds so complicated

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm coming back here to update everyone that the WD Red 3TB Drive, that I made this thread on earlier, died a few days ago. SMART didn't even notice any problems, I turned on my desktop and the load screen hanged, the drive made some instrumental beats, as it was trying to locate the track, and kept consistently powering on and off, this happened really randomly and so quickly, have you ever had drives, die like this? I am even more skeptical of SMART software now!

Hello everyone,

I'm coming back here to update everyone that the WD Red 3TB Drive, that I made this thread on earlier, died a few days ago. SMART didn't even notice any problems, I turned on my desktop and the load screen hanged, the drive made some instrumental beats, as it was trying to locate the track, and kept consistently powering on and off, this happened really randomly and so quickly, have you ever had drives, die like this? I am even more skeptical of SMART software now!
Disk can have sudden death smart won't catch that.

It's why we all make backups.

USAFRet

Titan
Hello guys, what's cheaper a 6TB internal hard drive or a 6TB external hard drive, and people do this thing called shucking, what is all this about?
'Shucking' refers to buying an external drive, and removing the actual HDD from inside and using it as an internal HDD.
Why? The external things are often cheaper per GB.

3 years ago I bought a 8TB Seagate external for $140. Significantly less expensive than the same make/model/size. At the time.

But...you NEED to verify that a particular model can be shucked.
Not all can.
By verify, I mean reliable reports from other people who have physically done it with the particular one you're looking at.

With todays prices, shucking may or may not be a good option.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
MAYBE!
You need to find someone else who has actually done it with that particular external.

And if you do, shuck it before putting any data on it.
Removal from the external case may involve reformatting the drive.
I have seen two to three videos of people doing it, although I need some funds to buy the 8TB, I wish someone could buy it for me! Hehe LOL.

atifpolitici

Honorable
May 24, 2018
Is a surveillance hard drive, going to be good for recording lot's of gameplay. I've had standard and network attached storage drives, they can't handle it and always after 3 to 4 years die , so will surveillance drives be good for me?

I am not so sure surveillance drives last any longer than others. Mostly the difference is they are designed to perform a bit better when the traffic is mostly write traffic and much less read. They are used mostly with security camera systems where you save the data but in most cases never look at it and it just gets over written.

I have had a couple wd purple drives in constant use for about 5 years.

If your goal is to just write say game screen capture to them they likely will be fine. You don't actually want to play games on them. It will work but other types of drives work better that are not optimized for write traffic.