SSD or M.2 for fast works with video

foxdanger

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
Everything else was chosed. Now I need the storage system.

On my old macbook pro I used an SSD to work and really love it.

So for this new workstation I'm planing use 3 storages:

1 - Medium 500gb SSD for system and aplications.
2 - Medium 500gb SSD for storage one or two video projects at time
3 - 2TB HD to storage all the other things, archives and etc.

The problem is, how to chose this SSD's.

Is a REAL difference using a Samsung Evo against Kingston A400?!

Should I buy Samsung Evo 750 instead 850 (here in my country there's a 100 bucks difference in price).

Should I use 1 m.2 of 960gb instead the 2 ssd's?

That thing about work with the SSD half full and never be full is true? Or myth? It's true for an M.2 too?

Sorry for too many noob questions.

EDIT:

One of the options:
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-819330289-ssd-m2-1tb-samsung-850-evo-mz-n5e1t0bw-m2-3d-v-nand-sata-3-_JM

Or two of these:
http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/85198/ssd-kingston-2-5-480gb-a400-sata-iii-leituras-500mbs-gravacoes-450mbs-sa400s37-480g/?tag=A400%20sata

Video editing is actually one of the few tasks which really do benefit from the higher sequential speeds of the more expensive SSDs. So depending on how large the videos are you're working on (1 minute shorts? 1 hour movies?) and how much editing work you're doing (just rendering a captured gameplay video? splicing together a cut every 15 seconds?), paying extra for a faster SSD may be worth it. If your videos are small enough the files you're working on would fit on the system drive with the OS and apps, then one PCIe M.2 SSD may be worth it for the faster sequential speeds.

The thing about leaving free space on your SSD is not a myth. It's true. It affects all NAND-based SSDs. On a hard drive, you can overwrite a 0 with a 1, or a 1 with a 0. On a SSD, you must first erase the cell before you can write new data to it. This erase step is very slow (almost as slow as a HDD), so SSDs will perform it in the background during idle time. That way there's a pool of erased memory cells ready for writing. The more free space, the more erased memory cells are waiting for lightning-fast writes. If you have little or no free space, the drive must erase cells as you delete files to free up space, making the writing process much slower.

• ■You only need about 15% of the drive space free. Some of the newer SSDs have more hidden reserve space so you can go down to about 10% free without serious slowdown. This percentage is a guideline. 15% will give you a lot more leeway on a 1 TB drive than on 120 GB drive.
    ■It only directly affects write speed. If you have little free space, the write speed slows down substantially. It can indirectly affect read speed if the drive is having to spend a lot of background time erasing memory cells to prepare them for writing while you're simultaneously trying to read data from it.
    ■ There was something else I wanted to say but I can't think of it anymore. :??:

foxdanger

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017

Amazing answer!

As I said, I used to edit in a macbook pro with a 256gb ssd. Normally 2 projects at time. Normally I edit 1 to 5 minutes projects with at maxium 100gb of raw data. As you said, I think I could use the M.2 of 960gb for everything so. Should I do 2 partitions or use as one partition for system and the project archives?

And if I need do a bigger project, I can use the normal hard drive to do it or buy a new SSD to work with it.

foxdanger

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
Did u think this Ssd M.2 1tb Samsung 850 Evo Mz-n5e1t0bw M2 3d V-nand Sata 3 is a good option? Looks kind a little generic m.2 no?!

But it has great reviews on new egg and other sites.

There are two types of M.2. One is simply SATA in an M.2 form factor. The other is PCIe over M.2. You need to find what kind of M.2 slot your motherboard has, and buy an appropriate SSD.

That 850 EVO M.2 is just a SATA M.2. So it's the same thing as a 2.5" SATA 850 EVO, just in a different form factor. I don't believe they made the 850 EVO in a PCIe version. You need to get the newer 960 EVO for that.

If your motherboard's M.2 slot is SATA-only, then aside from less space in your case there is no benefit to using it instead of a regular SATA drive. Doing so usually disables one of the regular SATA ports as well (it's redirected to the M.2 slot). Paying extra for an M.2 SSD only really makes sense if you've got a PCIe-capable M.2 slot and get a PCIe M.2 SSD.

foxdanger

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017

MOBO is ASUS STRIX Z270G GAMING

The problem is the 960 is almost the double of the price... Can't believe it so much better to worth this money.