SSD or MEMORY (you decide)

WhoShotMrWhite

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Okay, so in the midst of restoring an old (very first) build from 2013.

I won't bore you with the entire lineup but essentially it's an AMD FX-6100 on an Asus motherboard with a couple of 4gb 1866Mhz sticks and an SSD.

Looking to update the AM3+ mATX to take advantage of the SATA III (over SATA II) and wanting to steer clear of Asus this time. So I've pretty much only two options:

Asrock N68 GS4 FX R2.0 Socket AM3+AM3 mATX (Sata II/6gb but 1866MHz memory which I have!)
and
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio mATX (Sata III! but maximum 1333Mhz memory)

I'm torn between faster SSD or memory and would the 1866 even WORK on a board set to a max of 1333?

From the vids and forums, thinking memory is the one to forgo but again, will my 1866 work in the Gigabyte?

Solution
Awful quality vrm & caps , only has 4 sata 2 ports , no USB 3.

From an time period when I would never ever consider an asrock board.

The Asus board you have is superior , the little gigabyte is far superior (both your Asus & the gigabyte support 1600mhz speeds minimum native & 1866oc)

The gigabyte is hands down better.

WhoShotMrWhite

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Huh? I have two sticks of Kingston HyperX 10th Anniversary Edition 8GB Kit (2x4GB) – DDR3 1866MHz

I would not spend much on an obsolete platform.

Most of what windows does is small random I/O and that is not impacted by sata2 vs 3.
On the sequential side, you are looking at a 4x speedup over a hard drive with sata3 vs 2x for sata2.
All in all, not worth enough to change out a motherboard.
The money is better spent on a larger ssd. Larger ssd devices perform better.

As to ram, the rule is that more ram trumps faster ram.
If you have enough, and I think 16gb is enough you are ok.

Better, I think to save your money and plan on a modern cpu/mobo/ddr4 upgrade in the future.

WhoShotMrWhite

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Hey man, thanks for the tips and I know this might get me ostracized on here but this is just a back-up or something to pass onto the folks as I have a more that adequate MacBookPro 13" for all my needs- still have love for the PC though ;)

Besides the odd blast of COD 4 and 5 not a PC gamer, just used for internet/media so no need for a ninja upgrade with water cooling, Ryzen cpu or ddr4 and the likes :) to be honest it was probably overkill even back in 2013 for my needs.

So, a SATA III is better than the 1866MHz (over 1366MHz) or just go with the board that actually takes 1866MHz and stick with SATA II?

WhoShotMrWhite

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Gigabyte is not stating anything about SATA III. They're stating that the GA-78LMT-USB3 has six SATA II (a.k.a. SATA 3Gb/s) connectors. They're even labelled SATA 2 right on the motherboard:

GA-78_LMT-_USB3_SATA_Ports.jpg

WhoShotMrWhite

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

...'3Gb/s connectors supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices' :D ?

EDIT: oh, shit, yea...

The Asrock N68 GS4 FX R2.0 Socket AM3+AM3 mATX it is!

DOH! thanks for pointing that out

WhoShotMrWhite

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

How so? not arsed about HDMI as have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7730 1GB GDDR5

At the moment, have a Asus M5A78L-M USB3 Socket AM3+ 8 Channel HD Audio mATX but just seems to have reoccurring issues and graphical glitches upon booting.

Hows the Asrock bad?

Awful quality vrm & caps , only has 4 sata 2 ports , no USB 3.

From an time period when I would never ever consider an asrock board.

The Asus board you have is superior , the little gigabyte is far superior (both your Asus & the gigabyte support 1600mhz speeds minimum native & 1866oc)

The gigabyte is hands down better.

Solution