[SOLVED] SSD or NVMe?

vwcrusher

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hi, in the process of upgrading my system. Use is general, Adobe Lightroom and some gaming. I am waiting until the Zen2 CPUs to arrive before making that decision. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I cannot gather some CPU-independent components. I have already upgraded the Case, PSU and GPU.

After doing some research it seems that I would benefit from an NVMe boot drive (500GB) and perhaps the same technology for data drive (1TB). I do already have external backup. It seemed that Samsung 970 EVO Plus was a good choice; is it still?

Am I wrong? Thanks......

LB3

Honorable
Apr 25, 2014
I have the 970 EVO 500GB and it's wonderful. But please keep in mind that NVMe drives are SSD's, they just use a different protocol. Please note that there are also SATA III SSD's that use M.2 interface as well.

M.2 = physical interface
NVMe = transfer protocol
SATA III = transfer protocol and interface
but all the drives are SSD types.

I get about 2.4 GB/s Sequential Write and 3.5 GB/s Sequential Read speeds. Compare this to my Samsung 860 EVO with 525 MB/s Sequential Write and 560 MB/s Sequential Read.

hang-the-9

Titan
Hi, in the process of upgrading my system. Use is general, Adobe Lightroom and some gaming. I am waiting until the Zen2 CPUs to arrive before making that decision. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I cannot gather some CPU-independent components. I have already upgraded the Case, PSU and GPU.

After doing some research it seems that I would benefit from an NVMe boot drive (500GB) and perhaps the same technology for data drive (1TB). I do already have external backup. It seemed that Samsung 970 EVO Plus was a good choice; is it still?

Am I wrong? Thanks......
First thing, does your motherboard support NVMe drives? Not all do.

vwcrusher

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
First thing, does your motherboard support NVMe drives? Not all do.
Thanks for the reply; It will when I purchase one; not trying to be cute. As I noted earlier in the thread, I have purchased a few CPU-independent components (case, PSU, GPU) and whichever MB I end up with (either Intel or AMD) it will support NVMe....hence the query.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS