[SOLVED] Ssd or NVMe

Dec 18, 2019
Hello my girlfriend is now using a hdd on laptop but she had an SSD drive but it is now dead. So I am looking for a powerfull storage unit and especially NVMe. She is working in autocad, archicad and so.. and some projects she is opening lasts a few minutes, even on SSD. And her laptop is a i5 8th gen and gtx 1050. So I wonder if the NVMe opens a program with project much faster than SSD (if its worth), and if a laptop can run only on nvme without hdd or ssd in it plugged.

Solution
You'd first need to verify the laptop in question has an available M.2 NVME capable slot before that purchase...; if it does indeed have an M.2 NVME (many laptops have only M.2 SATA capability, and many more might have no M.2 slots at all), the there'd be no reason to not get NVME, as prices on many models are only a little higher than equivalent 2.5" SATA SSDs....
You'd first need to verify the laptop in question has an available M.2 NVME capable slot before that purchase...; if it does indeed have an M.2 NVME (many laptops have only M.2 SATA capability, and many more might have no M.2 slots at all), the there'd be no reason to not get NVME, as prices on many models are only a little higher than equivalent 2.5" SATA SSDs....

Solution

popatim

Titan
from what I found on the net is has a pcie3x2 slot and not the standard x4 so any nvme drive you put in will run at 1/2 speed.

Best bet is to call Lenovo and verify first though. On some models that don't ship with an NVME option, they remove the slot so you can't install it yourself.