SSD or RAID1 with mechanical HDD for reliability.

trep-

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Hi,

I'm debating if I want to go the SSD route or RAID1 with standard HDD for reliability. This is my main concern. I don't want to buy 2 SSD (too expensive). Performance is another thing but I don't really care about it. If SSD are more robust than standard HDD and I get a performance boost, that's a win situation for me.

The SSD i was looking at is this one:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=56784&vpn=SV100S2%2F128GZ&manufacture=Kingston&promoid=1261

Standard HDD, i would probably get a normal 500GB 7200rpm (already have 2 500GB and 1 1TB). For some reason my RAID went degraded after 1 month and I assumed one (one of the 2 500GB) of the drive was bad even if different hdd tools didn't find anything.

Regards,

trep-

Clinker42

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Trep

What do you mean degraded, Im running two drives on a raid 0 and so far its been pretty good, much better data transfers. Hard drive failures are rare now days.

Did you try a format and a re install of the Op system.

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I love my 2 36 GB raptors in a RAID 0, though my friend recently picked up a new OCZ SSD, and I do have to say it is lightning fast. From what I saw it did hick-up here and there, but only when there was heavy I\O.

HDD failures are rare, but they do happen. The past two months I had a TB drive bite the dust, a 180 GB drive kick the bucket, and a 120GB drive dig a 6 foot hole... first time in 8-10 years I have had a drive die on me, well, make that 3 drives.

What about going the middle ground, 1 raptor drive? Faster than a reg. drive, a little slower than a SSD, but cheaper than a SSD.

The Old IT Guy

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011

There is no doubt that the SSD would give you better performance. You stated however, that your concern was reliability, not performance. In my opinion, the SSD technology is still too immature to confidently predict its reliability. They just haven't been in widespread use for long enough to know. The early SSDs had serious longevity problems but it's not clear if those problems have been solved. The manufacturers' claims and stated MTBF numbers suggest that they have, but I think that it will take time to know for sure.

My 2 cents worth,
Randy