bigpympin

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Hey all need some advice. I just built a i5 system and now want to upgrade my hard drive and need to know if i should go with a 64 gig ssd or a 150 gig raptor.
I play wow,do the itunes thing and surf the net so a 64gig or 150 rap would be enough space for me. The egg is having a sale on some ssd's and they are around the same price as the raptor. So what do you think?

Solution
If you can get a large enough SSD for your needs at the same price as a velociraptor, then certainly get the SSD.

IMO, SSD's are still too expensive per GB of space. 128GB in the $150 price range is what I'm waiting for. It's gonna be a long wait...

sub mesa

Distinguished
manojgj: please don't let others pay for the bad choice YOU made; you shouldn't have bought your JMicron-SSD; now don't bug others by scaring them away from SSDs.

bigpympin: i would advice only Intel SSDs; the 40GB or 80GB are affordable and highly recommended.

If you can get a large enough SSD for your needs at the same price as a velociraptor, then certainly get the SSD.

IMO, SSD's are still too expensive per GB of space. 128GB in the $150 price range is what I'm waiting for. It's gonna be a long wait...

Solution

sub mesa

Distinguished
Wait till Q4 2010; then the new 28nm flash product will come available, which will offer better $-per-dollar than current SSD offerings.

Still, unless you're a gamer or using extremely large applications, a 40GB boot disk should do honestly. It does require you to be strict about storing all user data elsewhere, though; but that's the whole point of using SSD+HDD; SSD for the system HDD for mass storage.