SSD OS + SSHD or HDD Storage for Laptop?

jessejarvis

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Hello everybody,

I'm trying to figure out what I should do. A while ago I bought an Alienware 17 R4 laptop with a 1070 GTX (Not the M version), but storage has always been... well.. a pain. It came with a 120gb SSD (which is ALWAYS at 1-5gb free space with nothing I can remove), and 1TB HDD for storage.

The storage itself is 41.3GB free right now because of the Game Development I do. I transferred all of my inactive games to my external hdd to free up space on my hdd but it's still full.

The thing is I need as much storage as I can get, for as little as I can spend. With a desktop it'd be easy because storage is relatively cheap, but I am limited to a 2.5" storage size.

Right now it's down between: Seagate Firecuda 2TB 2.5-Inch SATA 6Gb/s Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LX001) and a Seagate Barracuda 3TB 2.5" 5400 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6 Gb/s I nternal HDD(ST3000LM024) because of pricing.

Should I get a 240gb ssd for OS and the SSHD or an HDD for Storage?

Thanks.

Solution
If you're looking for maximum possible storage, obviously an HDD is going to be your best option. Just know that HDDs are significantly slower than SSDs, but I assume you're used to not having one (that's usable) anyhow.

240Gb SSD for OS is recommended because Windows updates will continually take more space. However you already have an OS SSD and if you're simply looking for more storage, buying another hard drive of the highest size you can get is what's going to be best.

The ideal is to get a 240GB SSD for your OS AND buying another hard drive, but if I had to choose between the two getting a new hard drive will be better for maximum storage capacity.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
If you're looking for maximum possible storage, obviously an HDD is going to be your best option. Just know that HDDs are significantly slower than SSDs, but I assume you're used to not having one (that's usable) anyhow.

240Gb SSD for OS is recommended because Windows updates will continually take more space. However you already have an OS SSD and if you're simply looking for more storage, buying another hard drive of the highest size you can get is what's going to be best.

The ideal is to get a 240GB SSD for your OS AND buying another hard drive, but if I had to choose between the two getting a new hard drive will be better for maximum storage capacity.

Solution

jessejarvis

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Well that's what I was thinking. Get a 240GB ssd AND then get a better hdd. Thing is should I go for the 2TB SSHD or the 3TB HDD because they both ahve only 5400 RPM, does that really matter though. I know 5400 RPM SSD performs vastly better than a 5400 RPM HDD, but how much does that matter for gaming, file transfering, game development etc.

Thanks, if it comes down to having to separate the purchases I'll do the os ssd first.