[SOLVED] SSD overprovisioning VS blank headroom?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I think I have wrongly assumed that the "overprovisioning" feature in Samsung Magician was allocating the necessary headroom you should leave on any drive so it can play blocks or what not and shift around information without backing itself into a corner.
Something I just read described overprovisioning as blocks allocated in case other blocks start to actually fail...
These are two different things then correct?
I had bumped up the overprovisioning on my drives to 15% and had assumed I could then fill up the rest of the space completely, but now I'm getting the impression I need to leave 10-20% ON TOP of the 10% of dedicated overprovisioning.
Is that so?

..Thankfully I only just now nearly filled my game ssd to the brim, minus the 15% overprovisioning.

Solution
Free space is free space.
The over provisioning is just so that YOU don't have to think about it so much.
Purposely walled off capacity, that you cannot touch.
I think I have wrongly assumed that the "overprovisioning" feature in Samsung Magician was allocating the necessary headroom you should leave on any drive so it can play blocks or what not and shift around information without backing itself into a corner.
Something I just read described overprovisioning as blocks allocated in case other blocks start to actually fail...
These are two different things then correct?
I had bumped up the overprovisioning on my drives to 15% and had assumed I could then fill up the rest of the space completely, but now I'm getting the impression I need to leave 10-20% ON TOP of the 10% of dedicated overprovisioning.
Is that so?

..Thankfully I only just now nearly filled my game ssd to the brim, minus the 15% overprovisioning.
Overprovisioning partition is used to cycle cell/block usage so all are used (more or less) equally. If you have enough free space (all partitions) than it's not needed.
Unlike HDD, partitioning on SSDs is only logical, there are no cells or blocks physically divided or allocated to specific parts of memory.